Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mon, Apr20 2009 12:51pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Thorin and Orcrist

Well better to start another topic for this interesting debate rather than post in OA thread.

So well, master Holger, if I remember well, we do have a miniature of Thorin WITH Orcrist actually, it is M229 (or MC3 ) but in the vignette of his death, it is an axe , as you well know...

If this can help you get an idea on what Orcrist should look like? smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Tue, Apr21 2009 9:50am

hsf62
Master Caster

Re: Thorin and Orcrist

Is it M155 Thorin with Orcrist. Or is it M229 Thorin with Orcrist.
Which one is Orcrist? Both swords look different to me.
The problem is I don't have M155 nor the M229 and the pic in ths database is to small. Ah wait, there is another .....
Bingo found it!
Click to closeClick to closeClick to closeClick to close
Easier to compare.

Last edited by hsf62 (Tue, Apr21 2009 11:42am)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#3 Tue, Apr21 2009 3:10pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

M229/MC3 is still available for sale, just in case if someone wants to sculpt around and cut the arm around the sword that may  be possible. M155 would be a lot harder to "extract" the sword.
Orcrist and Glamdring are of the same "family" , elven swords from Gondolin. the mannish sword with curved guard (the one on the left on the adventurer dwarf pic) would not fit I think.

In case a Glamdring could pass for Orcrist... but as we can see on M155, the sword height was not fitting for a dwarf, but Thorin did use it nevertheless...He had to carry it by hand, not fixed on belt... too high

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#4 Tue, May12 2009 1:23pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Ha, I found the sword!!!!
Just needs a little tough up.
Pic is coming soon.big_smile

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#5 Mon, Jun1 2009 11:29am

hsf62
Master Caster

What do you think? Could this be Ocrist?
Click to close

Last edited by hsf62 (Mon, Jun1 2009 11:32am)

#6 Mon, Jun1 2009 12:31pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

yup this sword in scabbard could be used for the Thorin funerals vignette , it seems though that the left side of the sword guard is bent or slightly broken? but its aspect is quite well indeed

#7 Mon, Jun1 2009 1:59pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... no ...
First of all I have to complain about the presentation of Orcrist. It doesn't match with that M306 Dwarf ... rhuoommm ... mind the mittens ... huoommm ... then there's only one Orcrist as a single part and that is being carried on the shoulder of Master Oakenshild as it would have hampered using it in case he struck it to his belt ... rhuoommm ... that's what I know  ... alas .. I forgot ...rhuoomm .. Orchrist ... was it a sword .... huommm ... an axe ... a jewel ... some will know ... a gem, meseems it was ... hom

#8 Mon, Jun1 2009 2:40pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Masyer Ent, it is a sword as you well know. But we also got two different looking "Orcrist's" already, so I thought a third slightly different looking one for Thorins funeral would be ok, because all good things come in three....and yes, in a sense it is a jewel too....

Now Master Gildor... This is the prototype...
The sword is put together out of 3 pieces, and the dark like which makes the guard seem to be broken is actually the glueline. Painted or renuwed... this line is not seen anymore.wink

#9 Mon, Jun1 2009 4:16pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Rhuoomm .. I did witness that the Orcrist design wasn't based on based on original parts ... huommm .. though the sheath is taken from that ... huoomm you know what figure shouldering that jewel. ... besides I was happily surprised about the design of the pommel ... great work, Master Caster .... great work, indeed ... for such a small thing that has been important to slay foes and which has been provided in a vignette that I do still like because of all the emotions that are in it ... rhuoommm ... anyway ... I'll be in need of some rest by now ... rhuoomm..

Board footer