Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Tue, Feb26 2008 9:40pm

presto247365
Adventurer

Anyone getting their Corsairs painted?

So, I've been staring at the bare metal Corsairs on my table for about a week, wondering how I shall knock them into shape for the contest.  I'd like to do a little vignette of the deck of a ship, but I certainly don't have time for the whole vessel.  I might try and do a little section of deck.  TIME, TIME!!!!!

I thought these websights might be of interest to the patrons who are focused on all things swashbuckling...

Here's one that focuses on all things GW and New Line.  I don't care for the movie representation of the corsair ships, but I like this guy's Umbar.
http://www.freewebs.com/portsofpelargir/index.htm

All I can say about this one is WOW!!!
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/a-sasano … galley.htm

Interesting essay...
http://arthedain.netfirms.com/dromonds.html

#2 Wed, Feb27 2008 2:30pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Re: Anyone getting their Corsairs painted?

Under the great minds think alike catagory, I too though of doing this and am also constrained by time.  Either that or a beach background.  For me, it's also deciding which 2 to paint.

#3 Wed, Feb27 2008 7:08pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

I don't have any Corsairs yet. I will, eventually, but I doubt it will be in time for the competition unless something radical happens. (Any spare cash I do have is going to Imrahil!).

But that website is pretty awesome! big_smile

Gavin

#4 Wed, Feb27 2008 7:46pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

It's a race against time, but my Corsairs are almost painted - amazing what the chance of winning a freebie can do for the enthusiasm big_smile

I'm not mounting them on a ship, but take a look at the images I sent in on the thread for painted minis and you can see a couple of ships I'm working on. One for the Corsairs the other a Gondorian Warship.

The Venetian Galley is very similar to Heller's La Reale de France which you will see in one of the images. It is a beautiful model even if the instructions are S***e and the vac-form sails are even worse mad, however it is coming along niceley and the GF Corsair Admiral looks very much at home stood upon the 'bridge'.

Should I ever be able to get enough Corsairs to complement it then it will weigh a ton, plus (as a certain observant Ent noted) it will need a lot of oarsmen (but I think I can sort that!).

#5 Thu, Feb28 2008 12:17am

presto247365
Adventurer

I was thinking about slave rowers as well.  It seems impractical to use mithrils of any sort.  I suppose you could modify and recast a great many M100 slaves and Laketown longboat crews.  I was thinking of using Orion's 1:72 scale slave rowers from the Roman Sailor box. 
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/newp … orion.html

They'd be about 5-6mm too short compared to Mithrils, but they won't be side-by-side.  Seated down on the rowing deck, the illusion may work!

#6 Thu, Feb28 2008 7:10pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I was going for the Lake-town oarsmen option myself, cast in resin they will be lighter in weight.

#7 Thu, Feb28 2008 7:29pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Seated Viking oarsmen are available from at least one figure manufacturer, though I have to be honest and concede that I can't remember which - is it Gripping Beast, perhaps?

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#8 Fri, Feb29 2008 3:16am

hsf62
Master Caster

At the moment I'm working on a new mould. I could work in one of the Lake-town oarsmen recast the guy a few times ready to be converted suitable for his new home (ship)! After whoever wants one ore more to convert, I could send these guys out to. After they are converted, you send them back and I produce a new mould with up to 9 minis (if we get 9 converted) and can produce a small oarsmen series, depending on how fast the ships has to be filled. If I use jewlery alloy the weight will be very low aswell and who wants plastic anyway?
For a run with say 200 minis in up to 9 different poses you would look at aprox AU$ 2,50 per mini. Create your own MMP MX.lol

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#9 Fri, Feb29 2008 2:32pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

I'd be interested...

#10 Fri, Feb29 2008 4:05pm

hsf62
Master Caster

ok, we get it going.

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#11 Fri, Feb29 2008 5:08pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huooommmmm ... I'd be interested too, of course ... hom .... just let me know what I can contibute to this nice idea, Master Caster .... hom

#12 Sat, Mar1 2008 8:13am

hsf62
Master Caster

I'll put the shovel guy M100 in the mould aswell. Nice bend back to cut in half and put on a sitting bottom.
Well master ent, you can contibute to this eighter with converting one or more of this guys, or with good ideas...

#13 Sat, Mar1 2008 8:56am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I'll do what I can ... wink

#14 Sun, Mar2 2008 2:47pm

presto247365
Adventurer

I love the idea of everyone coming up with their own conversions and then pooling the minis for production.  I would be true to the Corsairs taking captives from many lands and chaining them to the oars!  Count me in as well!

#15 Sun, Mar2 2008 3:02pm

hsf62
Master Caster

You are wellcome to give us a hand Master Presto. I had a think about these guys and was thinking, it might be very useful to cast these guys in more then 1 part. We could make the legs and bottom all the same and cast this part seperate from the top and the arms.  The arms have to be seperate and I think we need two sets. One for the guys on the left side and one for the guys on the right side of the ship.

#16 Sun, Mar2 2008 3:06pm

hsf62
Master Caster

I'm really looking forward to all these conversions!

#17 Sun, Mar2 2008 4:38pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

me too, hsf62 ... but what about those strange caps of the M130 guys ...and their passive pose?
the M100b is a very good idea, once it's been halved ... As I said I would like to take part in your plan ... your idea of casting about nine different versions for the oarsmen is brilliant ... I also do not like the idea of using any kind of that "plastic-stuff" for casting those figs. Your idea of that light metal is fine, I think. 
Let's just do it!

#18 Mon, Mar3 2008 1:41pm

hsf62
Master Caster

That funny looking hat can be easily changed into cap similar to the one one of the Corsairs is wearing. It also can be changed into hair. If these two solutions don't appear to somone, the head can be chopped of completely and replaced with another head. M294's head is my faforite one. lol

#19 Thu, Apr3 2008 4:09am

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

5 Corsairs largely painted, but I am glad of the deadline extension...still have to take pictures,  I hope they post all the entries.  I enjoy seeing the work of others!  Get those brushes out and good luck!tongue

#20 Fri, Apr18 2008 4:06pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Corsairs finished, photgraphed and submitted!  Images will be posted here soon.  Anyone else entering?

#21 Sat, Apr19 2008 1:36pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

They're in the Gallery Ken.

#22 Sat, Apr19 2008 3:31pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Yes, I've seen yours and very fine work indeed David!  But are we the only ones?  That is what I wanted to know.  I suspect not and I also think there are many good painters out there.  I doubt if Mithril will post anything but the winning entires.  I'm interested in seeing the work of others.

#23 Sat, Apr19 2008 5:19pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I was lucky enough to have a chat with the man today at Salute and he said they seem to be selling well so hopefully a fair few should appear.

I'm more of a 'look at the overall effect' painter than a small scale painter (long gone are the days when I could paint a figures eyes at that scale) hmm but I reckon some of the real miniature artists out there will come up with some painted 'gems' especially with the incentive of the Knights set.

#24 Sat, Apr19 2008 7:05pm

Zoetrop
Value Tracker

I will finished my corsairs next week.

So we are three!smilesmilesmilesmile

#25 Sat, Apr19 2008 9:06pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Great Zoetrop!  And good luck!  What about Wendy, Presto and Ori (and any others!)?

Board footer