Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Aug8 2009 8:12am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

The Pony jukebox

Here's a new notion. Some of the patrons of the earlier manifestation of the Pony that disappeared into the mists a while ago may remember that there was an ongoing discussion strand regarding what fantasy books (JRRT-related or otherwise) people were reading. Well, I may resurrect that at some point, but for now I'm more interested to know what views any of you have on the sundry varieties of LOTR-related music that are available these days.

The thought has been prompted by the fact that I've just got hold of a CD of the stage show (I never got to see it, though Mrs B went twice), and have found that several tracks are actually very good (though others are less good and sound like the usual formulaic Disney's-Lion-King sort of twaddle).

So, what would you want to - or not want to - see installed into the jukebox that Nob has half-inched from somewhere? What pieces of LOTR music have particularly moved you or irritated you?

Let me know!

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2 Sat, Aug8 2009 8:52am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Re: The Pony jukebox

well maybe it would be a good time to mention a streaming online webradio that matches exactly the kind of music I am listening to...
http://radiorivendell.com/

Except from the soundtrack of the movie .. I particulary like Blind Guardian (for the heavy metal kind) or Enya... (all kinds of Enya...) but there are several others too... I will post more titles later smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#3 Sat, Aug8 2009 11:45am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I still like listening to those Swedish musicians who for the first time ever started to transfer Tolkien to music. It was in 1970 - and there was an extended version in 1988. It's all instrumental. To me it's still the "ultimate" conversion of parts of Mr Tolkien's writings.

#4 Sat, Aug8 2009 11:56am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

What was their name? - I've seen other references to this group of musicians over the years, but I don't recall ever hearing them myself.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#5 Sat, Aug8 2009 12:17pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I got the vinyl LP of the BBC radio adaption (songs and music) and most of the stuff on there is nice to listen to(except the eagles singing and another track which I can't remember which sounds a bit too how should I put it hmm 'prancy/voices that men shouldn't have!!!!), not that Hobbits would have such good voices. I'm hoping to transfer it to CD when she decides to actually open the christmas present I gave her!!!

#6 Sat, Aug8 2009 2:00pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

You get that album as a separate CD with some versions of the BBC CD boxed set (I have it with mine), and I confess that I really enjoy the music from this production - though, as you say, the eagles who sound as if their testacles have been sat on by a troll make me wince a bit. But the rest of the tracks have a rather, well, nostalgic sort of quality that make me yearn for Middle-earth more than usual (OK, that may be because the Beeb series was some 30 years ago now, but even allowing for that there's an air of 'lost times' about the music).

#7 Sat, Aug8 2009 9:23pm

erchamion
Adventurer

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#8 Sun, Aug9 2009 6:30am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Yes I have these Symphonies, by De Meij, they are absolutly fabulous!

you also have quite some tracks by french artist Patrice Deceuninck.. (you'll find some excerpts here http://jrrvf.ifrance.com/artistes/deceu … ninck.html)

and if you like some "synthetic" music.. there is a good one too : "Valar" by Bassic... (you can hear some of it as background music of my former website : http://inglorion.free.fr)

It is supposed to be... the Ainulindalë. I personally enjoy it quite a lot too

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#9 Sun, Aug9 2009 10:00am

erchamion
Adventurer

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

and if you like some "synthetic" music.. there is a good one too : "Valar" by Bassic... (you can hear some of it as background music of my former website : http://inglorion.free.fr)

I like this. It is Jean Michael Jarre style ...smile

Other groups:

Battlelore ---- of Finnish origin
Pär Lindh and Björn Johansson ---- Swedish, I have spoken very well of them and their album "Bilbo" but I have not heard...

There is much about the music of LOTR and in many styles......Fortunately......smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#10 Sun, Aug9 2009 10:47am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Sorry, Barliman, I did forget to mention the details of what I was referring to.
So, as far as I know the first time some people tried to shape part of Tolkien's writings in music was in 1970. It was by Bo Hansson and it simply was called "Lord of The Rings".  The musicians were Bo Hansson, Gunnar Bergsten, Rune Carlsson, Göran Lagerberg, Rolf Scherrer, Thomas Netzler, Mats Glengârd and Finn Sjöberg.
The extended release from 1988 includes 23 pieces of fine instrumental music.
I simply like it smile

#11 Sun, Aug9 2009 10:55am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Ah, yes, of course! I'd forgotten all about Bo Hansson! - I think I've still got his album on vinyl in the attic somewhere - though I no longer possess the primitive technology necessary to play it... I shall have to see if it's available on CD.

And Master Erchamion - yes, there was a promising review of Battlelore in the Tolkien Society mag Amon Hen a few issues ago. I've been meaning to search the album out and see if it's as good as rumour has it. Thanks for the reminder!

#12 Sun, Aug9 2009 12:07pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Bo Hansson's 'Lord of The Rings' once was available on CD (the extended release).

#13 Sat, Aug29 2009 11:06am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

My Bo Hansson CD has arrived - and now I remember why I'd forgotten about having it on vinyl. It was because I never played it much. I admit I've only had time to listen to the CD once, and that it's the first time I've listened to the album in 20 years or more, so I may be being a little premature, but I remember now that I didn't like it much. It may grow on me, of course, but we shall see.

One LOTR-inspired CD I'd recommend to anyone is "Music Inspired by Middle-earth" by David Arkenstone (with a surname like that, how could he not record a Middle-earth music album?).

Board footer