Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Looking for Mithrandil... Last bottles to the Sea

Hello everybody.

I made researches on the net and found this :
http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=pe … mp;tld=com

This is public information.

It gives all the information about Marc, his regular address, phone, etc... maybe one of you living in the USA could try to contact him directly... in order to have news of his welfare at least!!

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Wed, Feb13 2008 2:18pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Re: Looking for Mithrandil... Last bottles to the Sea

Well, it seems no one of our MMP members from across the big water is able or interested in contacting Marc?
I really would like to know if the information regarding the old MMP would be still available, even though the site is not up and running

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#3 Wed, Feb13 2008 3:07pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

from the info I managed to get from the registrar... the domain perilousrealm.com is about to disappear (end of registration)

The organism who submitted the name to the registrar is Yahoo, that means that behind "perilousrealm.com" which is only a domain name, the website and hosting was done by Yahoo.com . As I am not from the USA I only passed the information so that maybe someone among us living in the USA could contact him.  Yahoo removed all content from the website. the folders online are simply empty...
I heard that maybe Wendy, Theobald, and the google cache may have backups of some of the STATIC information on mmp (such as the interview with Chris Tubb or the description of what MMP is) I am still waiting for the interview from Wendy.

As for all the dynamic content, which was hosted on a SQL database (what we could see in the site was only a display "mask" of the database content) well this SQL database seems to have been... droped. Maybe Yahoo.com has kept backups... But they would never give it away to any except the owner of the site... it has been several months since, apparently yahoo has not heard news of Marc. They only decided to drop the content, seemingly, after several attempts to contact him to keep his website alive.

Which leads me to believe Marc may have had some more serious problems  than only "stopping his interest" in MMP.
That's why .. if some guy from the US could use the phone number provided in my link and try... to contact him directly, at lease to ger Real Life news... that would be kind...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#4 Thu, Feb14 2008 3:15pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Oops, sorry to be so late in replying.  The address and telephone number is his old one and having moved so much, I know the mail is forwarded to a new address only for six months (sometimes less than that if they make a mistake).  Let me try something and get back to you.  It is helpful to know that Yahoo is involved.

Regarding the C. Tubb interview, I believe Theo is the one who has part of it in hardcopy.  Unfortunately, the only thing I have are the pictures I had posted in the forums at the old MMP.  If I'd had some warning of its disappearance, I'd have saved a lot more stuff (especially Traveling Elrond pics).  sad

Holger, were you ever get in contact with Marc about the MX (Frumgar)?  I think that was the last time I heard from him as I had written him to make sure he didn't miss out.

#5 Fri, Feb15 2008 3:35am

hsf62
Master Caster

Yes, I had contact with Marc regarding the MX, but only through his email on MMP, which was the same he has as contact on the gold board. I'm sorry I don't have more info. Marc wanted to sell of his collection, but this never happened eighter. So at the moment we are not really further then we have before. What a shame.

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#6 Thu, Aug27 2009 3:10pm

Maenas
Traveller

Has anyone tried to find him on facebook??

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#7 Tue, Oct6 2009 10:26am

Halbarad II
Ranger of Blackforest

A Merry Meeting!

Click to close

Hi Collector fellows
Yes it happens sometimes:
I (hwolf or halbarad II) had the chance to meet ddaines in reality! 

On a trip to United Kingdom/London we had a merry meeting
and some very nice and interesting chat  about collecting Mithril Minis.
thanks to David for the tasty wine ;o)

Cheers, Halbarad II

Last edited by Halbarad II (Thu, Oct8 2009 9:04am)

Yet hope remains while all the company ist true.

#8 Tue, Oct6 2009 10:41am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Cheers guys.... I wish you more meetings like this one.... tongue slurpppp tasty wineeeeeeee

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#9 Wed, Oct7 2009 6:43pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Halbarad II wrote:

A Merry Meeting!

Click to close

Hi Collector fellows
Yes it happens sometimes:
I (hwolf or halbarad II) had the chance to meet ddaines in reality! 

On a trip to United Kingdom/London we had a merry meeting
and some very nice and interesting chat  about collecting Mithril Minis.
thanks to David for the tasty wine ;o)

Cheers, Halbarad II

Your round next time Harry lol

#10 Thu, Oct8 2009 9:08am

Halbarad II
Ranger of Blackforest

Click to close

Hi, Yes next round is mine!

Should I bring some German Beer next time?
Or tasty mead from busy german bees? LOL

Anyone wanna come also?

Halbarad II

Last edited by Halbarad II (Thu, Oct8 2009 9:08am)

Yet hope remains while all the company ist true.

#11 Thu, Oct8 2009 9:33pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Mmmh, I must confess this is a invitingly occasion ! We should talk about this.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#12 Fri, Oct9 2009 8:35pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Question: In looking at the database I notice that not a single "Fellowship" member occurs until Legolas (M65).  Why are there so many obscure figures produced before the truly epic heroes?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.  But I need to know!  smile

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#13 Sat, Oct10 2009 6:26am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

It is not a dumb question George.

Originally, Mithril contracted with Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE) to produce figures based upon their Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP) game. This was a license granted by Tolkien Enterprises (not to be confused with the Tolkien Estate). Over the years, Tolkien Enterprises (TE) came to own the rights to all materials relating to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. The books themeselves, games, collectibles, movies, almost everything. Tolkien Estates maintains ownership of all other JRR Tolkien works. That is why Mithril cannot produce any Silmarillion based figures among other restrictions.

So back to your question: the whole Mithril concept, per the agreement with ICE, was based upon these MERP publications, which included not only characters from the books, but made up characters that the authors of the MERP publications thought might be reasonable to expect would exist in Middle-earth, if it were fleshed out, so to say (Thieves of Tharbad, or Orcs with spears). And then there are the completely made up Characters such as Nimhir the Regent.

In the begining Chris Tubb sculpted pieces that corresponded to several of the MERP Role-playing books, which of course included many (and eventually all) of the regular Tolkien characters found in the Hobbit and LOTRs. But the first few books dealt more with the common folk of Middle-earth. Thus Legolas being number 65.

Eventually, ICE lost the license to publish the MERP line (screwed by TE who wanted to license the movie and product rights to bigger, better capitalized companies--New Line Cinema and Games Workshops), but Mithril has maintained their agreement (with TE) to produce figures as long as they keep to the original deal. This is why after we vote on a figure in our FG club we still have to wait for approval from Tolkien Enterprises before Mithril can produce and sell it. The same process holds when Mithril makes an "M" series release such as the recent Helms Deep figures.

Chris has always enjoyed the MERP body of works, and that is why we still see some pieces produced based upon those publications, such as Dagohir. And enough FG members like some of the MERP ideas, such as Female Assassin of Dol Amroth, that we vote occassionaly for a MERP inspired figure of the month.

Hope you're not more confused now than before.

As for Marc, I also lost touch with him; well before the original MMP site went down he seems to have disappeared.

Last edited by twrich (Sat, Oct10 2009 6:49am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#14 Sat, Oct10 2009 7:36am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

... that is what I say... full and complete information... I also didn't know this....  !!!

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#15 Sat, Oct10 2009 2:21pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks for the info! (I don't know your real name, only twrich!)

That is very valuable information.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.

smile

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#16 Sat, Oct10 2009 2:25pm

hsf62
Master Caster

If the tree isn't in, the man in the dark takes over and supplies the information...

#17 Sat, Oct10 2009 2:52pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I agree with tom (twrich) but i would add two points :

Legolas is not the first member of the fellowship there is Gandalf already at M52 smile
and ICE lost their TE licence for other obscure matters involving the "over minagination" of Pete Fenlon outside the boundaries of the Tolkien Enterprise licence (such as the worldwide arda map and so many fancy and non-canon material) At one point the Tolkien Estate entered into the "game" and made it so that Tolkien Enterprise prefered not to renew ICE licence rather to be sued for material they would not be allowed to "touch"... (that's alas the same reason why Christopher Tolkien does not like Mithril... mainly because they are strongly linked, in the past and still now, to MERP material... and everybody knows that MERP is the "nemesis" of the Tolkien Estate...

#18 Sat, Oct10 2009 7:38pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

The Estate were part of the issue - the Estate saw ICE's non-canon material and non-license material and commercial encroachment, but that was on a small part.

Mostly it was down to TE wanting rid of them. And one of the reasons TE wanted rid of them was to do with a license mess up. ICE apparently had some sort of rights to the movie. And, frankly, ICE was a roleplaying game company with roleplaying game company payment schedules. I suspect ICE were more trouble than they were worth. Also, reading between the lines, ICE's license probably didn't have a proper termination process, so TE just drove them to bankruptcy to make sure the license was free and clear.

ICE was left with the rights to rolemaster, some deeply weird contracts for other of their property and their big money spinner was gone.

Bye, bye ICE.

#19 Sun, Oct11 2009 10:00am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Halbarad II wrote:

Click to close

Hi, Yes next round is mine!

Should I bring some German Beer next time?
Or tasty mead from busy german bees? LOL

Anyone wanna come also?

Halbarad II

wink Beer, Mead and Jagermeister (spelling?), bring it on, lol. big_smile

#20 Sun, Oct11 2009 10:02am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

OriginalAragorn wrote:

Question: In looking at the database I notice that not a single "Fellowship" member occurs until Legolas (M65).  Why are there so many obscure figures produced before the truly epic heroes?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.  But I need to know!  smile

Nothing to add to the answers, but because of this association (as given in the answers) we have some fantastic figures released over the years which if not 'true' Tolkien characters can be adapted to portray many a character who may never have appeared wink

#21 Sun, Oct11 2009 2:48pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks for the answers fellas!  big_smile

Although I didn't realize until AFTER I posted that I used the wrong forum.  I should have used the taproom or something like that.  Sorry!

Board footer