Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Tue, Oct13 2009 5:36pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Vallejo Paints

Hello - I've been using the GW paints since I started painting.  But it seems like the GW paints tend to be bright and very colorful.

I'm impressed with some of the more "natural" or "drab" colors that many of the experts on this site use.  They look more realistic.

I'm thinking of switching to Vallejo paints (slowly).

Has anyone used Vallejo?  What do you think?

I like that you can squeeze out a couple drops at a time.  With the GW paints, they're in little tubs and it's harder to mix, etc.

Thoughts?

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#2 Tue, Oct13 2009 6:13pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Re: Vallejo Paints

vallejo/prince august paints are great when you want to work on realistic natural colors... I have always used them except for a color or two and well, they naturally tend to create a very "sober" result, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Beside the drop top is excellent for keeping them fluid a long time and not wasting them or your paintbrushes in the attempt of drawing the paint out of the tub...into the mixing plate... (not to mention the very large panel of colors and sub products available)

some "experts" keep telling me I do not make enough "contrast" between the "plain colors" and brightness/shades.. but mine are there too but I prefer them soft rather than harsh... I prefer to use natural lights in open zones and dioramas like master Thingol do  rather than generate an artificial external source of light from an above angle downto the figurine that makes it look great on a given angle for good photography... but is totally awkward from another...

That's why I love rita.de and Thingol pictures they are sober, natural and "not" flashy .... Keep on the good work guys!

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#3 Tue, Oct13 2009 9:52pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

I use Vallejo paints (mostly).  I really like the dropper bottle for the reasons Gildor listed.  In the meantime, if you'd like to dull down your GW paints a touch so they looks more realistic, add little bit of the complement color (red-green, blue-orange, yellow-violet) and/or add a bit of whatever the burnt umber equivalent would be for GW.  Adding the complement is also good to use as a shadow color (though with say, purple, you have to add black or dark brown in addition to the yellow to actually make it darker).  Adding flesh to a color is good for highlights.  It's fun to experiment with mixing colors.  big_smile

#4 Wed, Oct14 2009 6:29am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Dear all, and George between them lol first I will left one big "Thank you" to Master Gildor to all compliments...for painting and making pictures... and to Master rita.de for the closest comparison lol

For painting I use Humbrol and Model Master colors because they are colors with whom I have the best experience. These are the colors that we provide the ability to show the state of nature. Quick drying. Easy to mix and merge the good contrast. I love these colors because I used them for many years. I hate bright colors. I can't imagine Tolkien world full of bright colors. As we are in fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm. GW colors is not appropriate for my vision of Middle earth.

I always use the shades of green, brown and gray colors. Bright colors mixed with gray. Then get muted shades. I like to add on elves a little bit a golden color. I use many colors of metal shades. As Master rita.de. and Master Estele...

And finaly matt and dull looks of figures are more realistic. Especially for creatures from the dark places... and this is it for me....

Last edited by Thingol (Wed, Oct14 2009 6:29am)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#5 Wed, Oct14 2009 2:33pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Wow - thanks for all the replies!  I think I will makes a transition (slowly, so I don't go broke!) to Vallejo paints and see how I like those.

Great ideas from everyone on mixing the paints to create a more muted effect.

big_smile

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#6 Wed, Oct14 2009 10:05pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

George, if you find a good place that sells Vallejo paints for a good price, let me know. Thanks.

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#7 Thu, Oct15 2009 7:10pm

Maenas
Traveller

Well I think I am a bit late on this Topic but anyway... I was also wandering about wich kind of paints were you all using..

I use "Miniature paints" for regular painting and GW for Tints as MP Inks aren't very good (a bit shiny when they get dry and also trend to leave a darker border line). The reason for wich I use it, is because it was cheaper than GW and Vallejo. And I say, was, because I cannot buy it here in Barcelona anymore as "Juegos sin fronteras" where they distributors.

I am pretty happy with Miniature paints, since it is the brand that I am used to and I do not like to squeeze that Vallejo bottles when they are not very full. I have tried some Vallejo colors, and I think they have very good pigments, better indeed than Miniature paints but I do prefer my little glass bottles, unsrew they caps and take little ammounts of colour directly from the cap with my paintbrush...  Just as I was saying is the one I am used to cool.

So good/bad  things about Miniature paints:
G: Nice bottles, the paint will not dry out for decades.
G: Put your bottle upsidedown and you'll see the color perfectly.
G: Cheap!
B: They may vary colors a little from one bottle to another.
B: Inks are not very good (do not know if they have improved them)
B: Pale flesh is not very opaque and will probably give problems if not painted over a clear color.
B: Some of the metallics are not very good (they have changed the mixtures of some of the older colors that where not good, but haven't try it, as I still have the old ones perfect, 11 years and still in good condition)

Just to add another possibility...wink

PS: I think you can view and order this brand of paint here: https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_19261.html
PPS: If someone tries it, let me know what you think! 
PPPS: Sorry for writting that much!! loltongue

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#8 Thu, Oct15 2009 10:12pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

ahh I used to paint with "miniature paints" before going into Vallejo that was my favorite brand (these are the small pots in glass screw cap right? but I thought this brand had totally disappeared, I have never seen a single pot of this brand for more than a decade in france in any shop... they were all replaced by GW or Vallejo somehow.
(in France, it was Descartes who was distributing Miniature Paints)

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

Board footer