Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Thu, Feb28 2008 2:45pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Painting winter blues.

Well, after almost a month of not painting anything after getting back from Ireland (the huge wad of bills waiting for me helped...discourage...me), I then spent another couple of weeks rebasing a GW orc army I had painted the year before. Off came the crummy plastic bases and on went metal washers.

This used a lot of washers and a lot of patience, and a lot of five minute epoxy. Indeed it also involved a lot of balancing oddly posed figures against paint bottles to make them stay put.

When that was done, I then finished painting some more MERP pc types from Mithril. Yay.

But no, I said. I shall show discipline! I will finish painting those "Moria Goblins" (about 28 more in total) and touch up the ones from last year, and finish painting those 15 Mordor Orcs, and then touch up the other 30 or so orcs. Oh and paint that Balrog I bought cheap on ebay as a Helegrog (from the Decipher RPG). Not to mention those Cave Trolls. And the Mordor Trolls that can't be stored anywhere :p

Besides, they'll only get covered in vault dust.

That was early november. It's now the end of february. I have 14 more orcs to "touch up" something that's taking almost as long as it would to paint them new. I really made some weird screw ups with the paint the year before last.

This, by the way, has been an invaluable resource:
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.ph … lceid=2511

Only...

I'm bloody bored. Sure I've gone and done other things. I got a few more Mithril orcs for the Battle of Mirkwood lot painted, and a few more Arthedain warriors; finished painting the Faramir and Eowyn diorama minis (just need something to put them ON!);  but the big pile of orcs on my "small styrofoam board with grass matting and random bits of scenery I call my guilt-board" just kept staring at me. I am also useing the opportunity to apply some paint to the bunch of Hithaeglir mithril orcs.

There's also a large amount of Elves on the guilt-board, and a bunch of converted heroes.

I had hoped I would have been this far by the end of December, but noooo. Bloody real life and novel writing and freelance assignments and snow shovelling big_smile

And when this is done, its time to finally finish The Lady of the Mists diorama and start on The Battle of the Five Armies :p

Whee.

Gavin

#2 Fri, Feb29 2008 4:52pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Re: Painting winter blues.

My winter blues are because of freezing temperatures to cold to spray primer and dullcote outside and no heated garage.  sad

But I have been doing something.  A couple pics for the ranger in the corner (sorry, the lighting isn't great - it's been cloudy lately)...
I don't think you're going to recognize 'Shelob' (no pic of her yet).  Very close to finishing...and forgive my molassesy slowness.

Click to close

Click to close

Last edited by Wendy (Fri, Feb29 2008 5:03pm)

#3 Sat, Mar1 2008 12:17pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Very nice Wendy - I have got to repaint that troll as I originally gave him armour far too glossy.

David

#4 Thu, Mar6 2008 4:12am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Very nice indeed, Wendy!

Well I finally finished my...large...amount of GW Orcs for the Mount Gram/whatever army.  Thirty six of the little "Moria Goblins" - all metal, thirty eight or so "Mordor Orcs" (the older metal ones), fourteen "warg riders," five cave trolls, and a helegrog (a GW Balrog painted in other colours.)

They came out pretty good. The problem, of course, is that the casting on the GW figures is highly variable. Some of the sculpting is odd. The later plastic figures looked less weird, but were of lower detail quality.

I'll post some pictures someplace when I get some sort of tripod.

Next up, some Mithril Hithaeglir orcs. Though I am taking a break and painting the converted Elladan and Elrohir figures I made first. Trying to figure out how to make a good "silver-grey" cloak colour for them.

Gavin

#5 Thu, Mar6 2008 9:28am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Well about painting... I have almost finished painting the LR11-LR20 series of Nazgul. It have been wanting to paint those for years as I really like them. But I soon discovered it was a hell to take care of them. Let me explain :
I do not paint at home, as I do not have enough space for that, (unless in summer on the balcony), so I have a portable workbench with paints, brushes, all material for assembling and sculpting, and a smaller case with foam rubber to take care of the figurine "in progress"...
But these unassembled LR figurines are quite fragile and even in foam, they tend to disassemble and break during transport mainly ONE thing, the cape.... Though the principle of a separate cape is great,  the capes for these Nazgul are horrible (for some of them) to fix and maintain in place... the fixation with the body is quite always too small...
Anyway, I managed, in the end to paint all of them except LR11 "witch-king" that I am currently painting.
I hope the result will be great but I admit I am reluctant to move them anywhere now because of their cape... (especially LR12 and LR13 ...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#6 Thu, Mar6 2008 2:48pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Master Gildor -

I have one of those Nazgul you speak of, and I fixed my model's cape in place by making a small wad of "green stuff" - or modelling putty between the figure's back and the cloak. This solves the problem of the cloak falling off. Well, mostly.

Gavin

Board footer