Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, Nov8 2009 3:21am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

The Battle Under the Trees, in which I annouce what I am up to.

I am writing The Novel. This post is not about that.
I have about a half dozen small, but tricky enough roleplaying and gaming projects I want to do to "keep my hand in"

And then, there's HARP Skirmish

The thing is done. It's finished. Been finished for a good long time. But I didn't love it. HARP is most assuredly not MERP, and HARP Skirmish reads like a Rolemaster supplement. So I wasn't sure what the hell to do. I had various plans, but no one wanted something that deviated from HARP too much.

I also had a lot of Prince August figures, set up as generic elves, or maybe a Mirkwood army. I really wanted to do a Battle of Mirkwood supplement to go with the Mithril release. But like all free fun projects, it gets ignored when something important happens.

So, a solution presented itself. The Battle Under the Trees. Battle Under the Trees is a quick start supplement for HARP Skirmish, that leads a player step by step though the procedure of playing a minis game. I will use photos of my painted Prince August Elves. The whole thing will be free. As a not-for-profit project, I figure I can get away with using my photos, my storyline.

The Battle Under the Trees is, of course, the defence of Elven King's Realm with the serial numbers painted over. No Tolkien terminology. But hopefully something with character. Ten scenarios ranging from introductory skirmish to a big many hour game.

All I need to do is make the thing readable (it will be shared here as different sections are completed)...

...and paint a boatload of elves, quickly.

Lucky me.

Anyway, I expect you to all bug me about it.

#2 Sun, Nov8 2009 7:23am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Re: The Battle Under the Trees, in which I annouce what I am up to.

Sounds like a great supplement, I'd like to read it when you are done . . . would even conduct an adventure with my group and give you feedback, if you'd like, although that would depend on the willingness of others. Is this based strictly on HARN rules, or do you plan to make it adaptable to RM?

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#3 Sun, Nov8 2009 8:09am

protozeus
Adventurer

Very interesting! Are those the old but wonderful PA elves I also like very much ... let's see ... Thank you for preparing and sharing this! smile

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#4 Sun, Nov8 2009 3:36pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

It's not an RPG adventure  - I am putting together such a thing for the Battle of Mirkwood with names and MERP stats and so on - but rather a miniatures rules campaign. Sort of like a cross between GW's Mines of Moria and the Fall of the Necromancer.

(Actually the Battle of Mirkwood may turn out to be more like a cross between Palantir Quest and the Fall of the Necromancer, only for MERP :p Whenever it gets done, that is.)

HARP (High Adventure Roleplaying) and MERP (Middle Earth roleplaying) are similar products, but there are some key differences which pop up in weird and subtle ways. HARP is somewhat streamlined. MERP doesn't need streamlining. The problem is that you can't find anything in the damn MERP second edition core.  Confusingly, there's a game out there called Harn which is kinda similar to both, but made by someone else.

But I digress.

The main delay in this project will be painting the various elves up for the scenarios. I might even write up some painting guides. In fact I probably should.

Anyway, it means there'll be a free, accessible demo for HARP Skirmish in its full HARP/RM-ish glory, and I can justify casting and owning all these bloody Elves. And hey, maybe someone will go buy some moulds based on it.

Gavin

Board footer