Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Tue, Mar16 2010 10:01pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Bogus emails

Dear Members,

Please be aware that someone or something (roll) appears to be sending emails from my Hotmail account regarding some retail outlets or other such nonsense. This appears to be in the last week or so.

This has happened before and although I have Norton security on the PC I am not sure how to stop this.

It looks as if it is only addresses in my address book get emails ('I' have even emailed myself!). As I know at least one regular here has received one of these emails before please use a viewing window before opening any emails supposedly from myself at the following account: dainesfish@hotmail.com

I might email regarding Mithril stuff, but NEVER about clothing retail outlets etc. big_smile

Apologies in advance if you have had something come through. Any tips on virus checking a hotmail account most welcome.

David

#2 Tue, Mar16 2010 10:18pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Re: Bogus emails

Norton Security??!! What is that . . . big_smile

Click to close

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#3 Tue, Mar16 2010 10:23pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

tongue

#4 Wed, Mar17 2010 3:25am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Wasn't me, and probably wasn't you.

I didn't get such an email. How those things work is they look at your email and either just use your email address to send spams everywhere, or they read your address book from a small trojan on your computer and spam everyone.

the first is annoying and impossible to stop.
the second? Download malwarebytes from here:

http://malwarebytes.org/

and run it once or twice. It's very good at finding sneaky crap on your computer.

#5 Wed, Mar17 2010 6:38am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I join the commentary with master Christoph... please ... buy a Mac...and you will no longer have such problems...

Click to close

see who has the upper hand

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#6 Wed, Mar17 2010 8:42am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

ahem.... fact is, debate between mac and pc is my daily basis at work.... as I am computer engineer if you remember well smile I won't start to argue about that here let's just say I can't stand mac .... for several reasons some of  them could be more open to debate than others...

Did you know that, although macintosh is immune to MOST viruses and trojans and spams, it can STILL be an intermediary to broadcast virus to PC which are vulnerable to it... some kind of "healthy host"... that's worst than having a contaminated PC because you think you are "safe" and indeed you are... but you contaminate all others around you...

Anyway, the problem you face david is a very very common one for me, I have it everydays (i receive mails from myself every day or even several times a day) but my email client , antivirus or firewall know they are "hoax" or "phishing attempts" and treats them as spam directly.

There is a possibility the problem does not come from your computer but from your provider itself whose Mail servers have been corrupted and each time a mail is sent or received there is a tracker/bot to "catch" the recipient address or name ... that's QUITE common lately...

IF there is a possibility that it comes from your PC, then i suggest you use a antiSPYWARE rather than an antivirus... use the "SPYBOT-SD" tool it is a GREAT tool

(and it is totally free)  this software can do miracles sometimes, and find dozens of spyware that no regular antivirus (norton, avast, mcafee) would never find or consider as viruses because these are not viruses... these are spywares or malwares..

I hope this helps

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Wed, Mar17 2010 8:46pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Thanks to all for your replies, I will look into the spybot Gildor so many thanks.

I've never used a Mac so can't comment smile

#8 Thu, Mar18 2010 8:28am

protozeus
Adventurer

Not every computer engineer is mac-averse, however, I noticed a massive increase in popularity (especially in computer science and also among "pure" programmers) over the last years ... wink

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#9 Thu, Mar18 2010 11:23am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I agree Protozeus I never said all computer engineers were mac-averse, I actually work with a guy who is fond of mac...
anyway, there are aspects in enterprises about software strategies, policies, server/client architectures, shares and compatibility that simply forbid the use of a mac on a large scale...

For individuals, why not... provided you are ok with locking yourself away of more than 95% of the software/video games market...
that's a choice of yourse smile

I play MMORPGs myself,  Mac is simply not even thinkable

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#10 Thu, Mar18 2010 3:31pm

protozeus
Adventurer

Well-timed article for our discussion, (but I know that every corporate environment is different -- for gaming, I have switched to consoles even though they are from M$ wink): http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/ … ws-pcs.ars

#11 Thu, Mar18 2010 6:41pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well you bring forth one of our most common and daily-based debates at work master protozeus...

I don't think this forum would be a good place to debate about it because to debate on such things would either require having enough computer engineers against other computer engineers , or simple users vs simple users... without any engineer ...

when it comes to gaming you have indeed made the choice to play only console games...
it is my choice to play "computer games" and not console ones which are hardly as good in the domain I prefer (real RPGs or Real Time Strategies... which barely exist on console support... )
oh and please, don't mention final fantasy or other games of the like.. these are Not.. what I call RPGs wink

PS : in your article they talk about Windows vs Macintosh... this is a wrong debate.... Windows and PC is NOT the same... most people tend to forget Linux based systems which do cost less in maintenance and even in the front-hand aspect... and are often used for server systems....

A full windows solution is by far more expensive than Mac indeed and not interesting...

#12 Fri, Mar19 2010 7:09am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I suggest that we forget this topic. Master Mac will raise the white flag and embrace Master Windows...and we are ready for new adventures in the middle earth....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#13 Fri, Mar19 2010 8:47am

protozeus
Adventurer

We are completely d'accord concerning the fantastic penguins from the Southern Ice Wastes, no hint of corruption in them, I guess.

#14 Tue, Apr6 2010 3:42pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Slightly late coming to this thread, but I swear by Mac every time. I have to use it (the printing/publishing industry wouldn't touch pcs with a barge-pole, and that's the field in which I work), and I've never had any problems - but I can't comment on what Master Gildor says about Macs acting as 'host' to unwanted garbage, beyond pointing out that it's not the Mac that's affected, but rather the inadequately protected pc with which it's communicating!

I'm told that it's virtually - or actually (opinons differ) - impossible to write a virus program for a Mac. My brother, who is himself a software writer, has finally (after 30 years) given up with his own pc at home and switched to an iMac, simply because of the frustration of having to combat pc viruses every waking hour of every day.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

Board footer