Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, May9 2010 9:21pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

the 1989 vignette "Crusade"

Some of you may know or remember that among all the mithril creations, there are rarities... such as M16
and there are mysteries.... and the biggest mystery of Mithril is the Christmas 1989 vignette...

For years I have been trying to find any information on this vignette...

I got only small hints... clues... of its existences and each time all the proofs are elusive...
Juegos sin Fronteras seemed to have a copy but they closed their doors and were never to be found again (erchamion tried several times) so we did not manage to have any information
Chris Tubb himself doest not remember about it and is desperatly trying to get his memory back about it with any clue or tip I might provide him
the only other clue was from a guy going by the nickname "Thorondil" on a forum who claimed to have one copy of two rarities he could not identify a 54mm Aragorn holding a palantir with "christmas 1988" below the base, and a vignette with 3 elven persons with "christmas 1989" below the base...  but this was a post from 2002 and the forum is no more active... and no way to contact this person.

I have since, been trying to track any clue about this Thorondil, I MAY have found an email directing to him... but nothing is certain.. I have written to him. If luck is with me, maybe the email address is still working, and I'll get an answer (providing it is the same Thorondil as in 2002 who posted the original message)

that makes a lot of IF... but these are the only hints and clues I can use so far...  I want to solve this 1989 mystery... and if chance allows... get my hands on it... as it is for me a big missing hole to fill in my collection... (like the ME2 and Saruman 54mm that Kenakko possesses, or the Patrick Sarsfield from 1991)

If any of you has any hint to carry on this "crusade" please let me know... also as all of you know... there are currently only a very few figurines I am desperatly looking for... and I just mentionned them in the last paragraph...)

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Mon, May10 2010 7:09am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Re: the 1989 vignette "Crusade"

Gildor, I also wonder about the '91 Sarsfield, it is a strange addition to the Mithril line, even if a Christmas figure. He is an Irish hero, I believe, and must be a favorite of Chris.

I have focused on the 32m figures, and have no Christmas figurines. Perhaps some day I'll complete the Mithril 54m collection.

Last edited by twrich (Mon, May10 2010 7:23am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#3 Mon, May10 2010 9:08am

Nob
The in(n)famous Keeper

the reason for 1991 christmas figurine to be Patrick Sarsfield was because each year, the british posts made a "commemorative" stamp for a hero... and in 1991, the chosen hero was Patrick Sarsfield...this was a commemoration... I don't think it was especially a favorite of Chris... but at this time, Prince August "fer-de-lance" was Mithril... and Mithril Christmas figurine were also intended to be Prince August Christmas Figurines. and Prince August has a line of celtic legends or heroes... As a matter of fact the 1991 Sarsfield was later re-released as an "Edman Collection" 54mm antique-finish... exactly the same, but with different base and finish...

it is not the only christmas figurine not to be linked with tolkien. 1995 Christmas Figurine was King Arthur... not really Tolkien related wink

well, my wife does not like a lot 32mm and largely prefers 54mm... I admit I prefer 54mm too usually, not necessarily from Mithril, but that's off-topic...
Also, assuming that my collection of 32mm is complete (except for the wilderlands prototypes maybe), when I  try to "complete" my collection, it falls necessarily in the domain of 54mm...

(Gildor at work... inside)

#4 Sat, Feb5 2022 8:07am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

12 years have passed since my last entry here... it could be considered a necroposting but I think it is worth the while !

Gentlemen, let me point you to the updated reference sheet of..... Chr1989  It is no more a chimera !

Now to get my hands on it will be difficult but I definitly need to have it in my collection...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Sat, Feb5 2022 9:20am

Milo
The Attic Warden

This is a great thing to discover a new rarity so long expected.
Still, my guess only very few people in the world will ever put hands on this one, I love the mini!

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#6 Sat, Feb5 2022 9:36am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I'll try whatever I can to get my hands on it... been lhunting it down for more than 20 years and I have all the others.

I wrote to Chris about it to refresh his memory because he himself did not remember it !!

#7 Sat, Feb5 2022 6:55pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

at least we better know what to look for.
Keep searching, never forgive and things happen!

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#8 Tue, Feb8 2022 12:42am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Thank you very much for the information. Very interesting indeed.

Board footer