Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#676 Wed, Jun4 2014 10:46pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Re: THE HOBBIT MOVIE

There are about 188 days left, nearly six months to go for the last chapter.
And: simply N O TH I N G  !
Strange that is, seems to be the politic of a well knowned manufacture in Ireland . . .
An absoutely desaster . . .
PS: the Man- as you like to call him- with his own brand comes into my mind . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#677 Thu, Jun5 2014 10:14am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I've been thinking the same thing about PJ's/Newline's silence re the movie. Seems very strange not to have released a new teaser trailer at the very least by now - and where are the production blogs we've become accustomed to seeing? Very odd.

Incidentally, as regards the horrible golden dwarf, is everyone aware that Dain's dwarves are apparently going to be mounted on wild boars??? (Games Workshop will be delighted...)

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#678 Thu, Jun5 2014 11:52am

Milo
The Attic Warden

You must be kidding ! mad

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#679 Thu, Jun5 2014 1:16pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I'm afraid not.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#680 Thu, Jun5 2014 2:20pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Maybe PJ just does not dare to publish any trailer, what I could well understand after once having seen the first part of that horror-trilogy. - I own the second part on DVD but by now have not had the courage to have a look at it.
I can just support what Gavin recently said about those movies somewhere else around here.
From what I have seen it makes sense that dwarves ride on wild boars. ( I just remember Radagast's rabbit-chariot.). The dwarves should be supported by winged and flying elves, I think.

#681 Thu, Jun5 2014 3:58pm

shadyt
Traveller

Don't forget the Elf king mounted on an Elk or stag or something. I suppose we should have guessed.

#682 Sun, Jun8 2014 2:23pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

On the other hand, what little we know of film #3 did give us Billy Connolly's great description of his costume:

"I am wearing a Volkswagon"

I do want to see how it all turns out, visually. I'd also like some more GW plastic orcs and such (though the orcs we have seen haven't been anything special).

#683 Sun, Jun8 2014 2:30pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Doubtless there'll be some good figures and some bad, as with all GW's output for the Newline films. As I've said on earlier occasions, I use numerous GW figures amongst my Middle-earth armies, but interestingly I've not yet used any from The Hobbit films. Not entirely sure why.

#684 Sun, Jun8 2014 2:46pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

For a long time I bunched mine together. The older GW metals and mithrils looked perfectly well together. However, the plastics, with their highly variable scale, looked odd. The mithril figures have greater consistancy of look and scale. But, by and large, it was doable.

However, the Hobbit figures have a very consistant look, and that look doesn't look very nice beside Mithrils. The overdone Dwarf costumes, the weird goblin-things, the very polished looking Orcs, the cartoonish Beorn. I don't own the Dale mercenaries or Mirkwood ranger figures, which are amongst the best the range has. They might look ok alongside certain Mithrils.

Anyway, the result is that I am sort of splitting the ranges again, with one lot existing for the Strategy Battle Game and the other lot existing for MERP.

#685 Sun, Jun8 2014 2:51pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I know what you mean about the plastics. They look and feel more like 25s than modern 28s/30s.

#686 Sun, Jun8 2014 3:39pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I think Gavin is absolutely right.

#687 Sun, Jun8 2014 11:40pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

mmmmh, difficult to say.
As far as I am concerned I look out for "well proportioned figures". Whatever that means . . . roll
Concerning "the other company" I must confess that I do own TWO figures: Trolls in this case.
So in comparison to mithril figures I see, that "the other company" is absolutely NO alternative. For my taste.
Not because of the Trolls . . .  of course.
Though there are other brands around which exactly do this . . .
Think about Red Box and the wonderful stuff of Master Fernandez (origen art) !

But remeber that inside mithril here are a lot of scale varieties, as I have hurtable noticed not even twice . . .
(the reason why my Esgaroth diorama is still empty . . . )

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#688 Mon, Jun9 2014 7:12am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

It remains a mystery to me why designers can't / don't stick to the scales they start with. Figure designer Mark Coplestone reckons that (at least in his own case) it has a lot to do with declining eyesight as the designers get older!

The proportions of figures are another issue I often find questionable - the Red Box figures, for instance, are excellent, but they tend to have small heads - or, rather, heads that LOOK too small; they're probably actually the right scale pro rata to the rest of the figure, but actually need to be bigger proportionately for the figure to "look" right when reduced to scale.

But at the end of the day it's probably all a matter of personal taste as much as anything else.

#689 Mon, Jun9 2014 10:32am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I donĀ“t want to add anything more.
I just want to say, that you are absolutely right with your fine observation, Master Barliman!

#690 Sun, Jun29 2014 3:32pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Turambar wrote:

There are about 188 days left, nearly six months to go for the last chapter.
And: simply N O TH I N G  !
Strange that is, seems to be the politic of a well knowned manufacture in Ireland . . .
An absoutely desaster . . .
PS: the Man- as you like to call him- with his own brand comes into my mind . . .

There is now apparently a trailer made with PJ's approval, but waiting a rating. A cynic has posted that with the upcoming Comic Con it may be delayed until then roll?!

#691 Sat, Jul12 2014 9:11am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

#692 Sat, Jul12 2014 9:18am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

About time we saw something. Why no blogs this time? Very frustrating.

#693 Sat, Jul12 2014 2:52pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Barliman wrote:

About time we saw something. Why no blogs this time? Very frustrating.

I suspect the answer is a rather boring one.
Movie #3 is likely going to be assembled from what was supposed to be movie #2. So the primary shooting and post-production is done. They'll have done pick up shots to draw the damn thing out some more, but that's all bitty, boring crap you don't put in a shooting blog. This is cinematic sausage making at its finest, and not the sort of thing that generates buzz for what they'll hope is a billion dollar movie.

Of course, I'd rather the bloody thing was done and dusted by now. After all, one of the original release dates for Film #3 was supposed to be around...now.

#694 Sat, Jul12 2014 7:11pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I have to admit that (despite liking the films after initial reservations) I have not got the same 'buzz' of anticipation waiting for these films hmm.

With the LotR Trilogy I was almost wishing my life away in anticipation for the first one, then the next one and the final one!! wink

#695 Sat, Jul12 2014 8:37pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Likewise, Master Dave. But at the end of the day, LOTR was the book I fell in love with as a teenager back in the day, before it was even trendy to be a LOTR fan (if you can picture me as a hippy, that's when it was...), and The Hobbit was just an amusing preamble for youngsters. Ergo I never had the same expectations of the Hobbit movies, and, like you, I've never felt there was the same anticipation and excitement for this trilogy. However, also like you, I've come to enjoy them simply as good Fantasy romps for their own sake, rather than serious interpretations of the book.

Best way to view the Hobbit movies, as I think I said a while back, is to treat them as another narrator's account of Bilbo's adventure. And since we know that Bilbo was happy to bend the truth when it suited him, who's to say which account is the more reliable?

#696 Sat, Jul12 2014 10:14pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Barliman wrote:

Likewise, Master Dave. But at the end of the day, LOTR was the book I fell in love with as a teenager back in the day, before it was even trendy to be a LOTR fan (if you can picture me as a hippy, that's when it was...), and The Hobbit was just an amusing preamble for youngsters. Ergo I never had the same expectations of the Hobbit movies, and, like you, I've never felt there was the same anticipation and excitement for this trilogy. However, also like you, I've come to enjoy them simply as good Fantasy romps for their own sake, rather than serious interpretations of the book.

Best way to view the Hobbit movies, as I think I said a while back, is to treat them as another narrator's account of Bilbo's adventure. And since we know that Bilbo was happy to bend the truth when it suited him, who's to say which account is the more reliable?

Well put Sir! wink

#697 Thu, Jul17 2014 11:20pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

WOW !
There is a picture of the last Hobbit film around. What an amazing piece! It shows; . . . . noting.
Seven months was worth waiting for!

Click to close

Last edited by Turambar (Thu, Jul17 2014 11:21pm)

#698 Sun, Jul20 2014 11:32pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Ahhh- just had a last look before my pillow talk and found something that it IS worth waiting for: Master Taylor!

Err- Bolg I wanted to say. That seems to be the third edition of that character . . .

Click to close

So- for tonight: good night everybody . . .

#699 Thu, Jul24 2014 10:44am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . AND THE LAKE WILL SHINE AND BURN . . .

Click to close

#700 Thu, Jul24 2014 11:52am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Smauuuuuuuug on the waaaater wink

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

Board footer