Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Aug3 2012 9:25am

Milo
The Attic Warden

MS578 Painting competition

I start this topic for upcoming paiting competiton.

I have some questions.
Does anyone here have an idea of what kind of rock Elessar's tomb is made off ?
Same for the floor ?

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#2 Fri, Aug3 2012 3:30pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: MS578 Painting competition

Must be a famous glossy white marble from island Brač... from the same is built the - "Black" -  "White House" in Washington.... rollhmmwink

I will use black and white marble effect....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Fri, Aug3 2012 9:39pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Hard rock, I guess lol

On a more serious note though Master Milo, I don't know the answer, but I would guess some form of pale or white stone or marble.

I think an interesting point in this scene is that (my interpretation) if you read the passage in Appendix A (v) 'Here follows a Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen', it says that Aragorn is lying on his tomb (on the long bed that had been prepared for him...), not as a carved image, but as a 'living' man who has decided it is his time to go and is saying his farewells to Arwen and Eldarion to whom he gives him the winged crown of Gondor and the sceptre of Arnor; and then all left him save Arwen......

So do we use a bit of artistic license here and depict Aragorn as a carved image, or paint him as a living man roll? I think this piece deserves to be painted with respect to a great king smile.

I started with one idea, changed my mind, and have now decided to go back to Plan A big_smile

Anyhow, a great piece and I look forward to seeing what is in store wink.

#4 Sat, Aug25 2012 7:51pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Actually I just asked the Man how he sculpted it...

Actually, Arwen is supposed to be alone when Aragorn is dead...not with Eldarion... and the REAL crown of Gondor is passed on from father to son for generations and was not used during the rules of stewards...
In the movie, it is depicted as a carved recumbent effigy... which according to me gives grandeur to the man, more than a simple lying man...

This scene could be from AFTER his death (though it would not justify the presence of two royal guards... and well, Arwen left Minas Tirith just after his passing...) and this could indeed be a recumbent effigy as it is odd to have the crown of Gondor at his feet...

Actually I checked on the net many pictures of Medieval recumbent effigies and all share same aspects, a body sculpted into stone, with a stone cushon below the head, and some item of importance during his lifetime at their feet (in this case, the crown)

I'll wait for Chris' answer but I really think that... although the book describes the scene of the passing of Elessar as his real body, it could give depth to the scene to have it made in stone, gray polished marble stone...

well that gives only two possibilites : being true to the book means that it is Elessar himself... being imaginative in accordance to the sculpture would have Elessar be an stone effigy...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Sat, Aug25 2012 8:40pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well... the answer was not long to arrive :

Hello Christophe,
The vignette of the Passing of Elessar depicts a stone effigy of the king , not the entombment  of the body which would be very different and would have entailed Arwen probably touching the king's hand or maybe leaning forward to kiss his brow. I hoped  that the formal setting with the two guards and the stylized pose of the statue ( exactly like a medieval tomb carving, but without the hands in prayer) as well as the respectful rather than emotional poses of Arwen and her son  would tell the viewer that it is the tomb that we are seeing in the vignette . His wife and son are paying their respects to  his mortal remains, which reside in the tomb underneath.  Hope that clarifies matters

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#6 Sun, Aug26 2012 7:37am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Great to have CT's view. Merci Gildor

#7 Sun, Aug26 2012 8:01am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

madhmmmadhmmmadroll I should repaint my vignette part: "..... stone effigy of the king...." ...... quick smile

Last edited by Thingol (Sun, Aug26 2012 8:01am)

#8 Thu, Sep6 2012 9:11pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

..... I'm ready for criticism.... smile

Click to close
Click to close
Click to close
Click to close

I decided to paint it those "flanked" part of the tomb by Minas Tirith guardsmen.... as a real guardsmen's... who came to give honor to the king, as the queen's entourage.... one in black and one i white uniform... as the queen Arwen is in black dress with white scarf, and Eldarion is in combinations of black and white dresses.... floor The floor is made of gray marble and tomb from white limestone.....

But I'm not satisfied with pictures....

Last edited by Thingol (Thu, Sep6 2012 9:13pm)

#9 Thu, Sep6 2012 10:05pm

Ori
Traveller

The stone looks perfect to me. Great job.

#10 Sun, Sep9 2012 4:36pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Looks good Master Thingol, I am lucky that I only started to paint the pillow as real material (having already painted it with a stone effect).

I am now racing against time to get the scene finished having other model making projects to contend with hmm

#11 Sun, Sep9 2012 6:47pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Master Thingol, the tomb is great.
The idea of having 2 guardians in B&W is original, and makes the scene more solemn.

May I suggest Lady Arwen still has hair ?  don't you think ?wink

#12 Mon, Sep10 2012 7:08am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I must then put a little putty on her forehead..... and than... this is conversion wink and this is not - according to the rules !

Arwen may look like a priestess in the David Lynch film - The Dune smile

#13 Mon, Sep10 2012 2:52pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

This vignette is wonderful, what did you use to make the Elessar corpse looks so "stony" you added special thing? or only paint?

as for Dune wink well it is but an adapation of the novels wink the Bene Gesserit order wink though I can't imagine Arwen as one of them, besides they have special "headcovers" wink

#14 Tue, Sep11 2012 6:11pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Thanks Gildor,

about "stony" looks I did not added any spacial "thing".... only paint... I painted the first coat of black paint, and than quite a few times with diluted white paint.... with that I got tinted primer.... on the end I inflicted on the edges undiluted white and I got a thickening similar to the old tombs.... I painted the tombs of three layers. First with a glossy white. Then with diluted black. Then I took off with sandpaper rough lines. Then I went with diluted brown. In the end I went through a very dilute shiny gray. To get the effect of marble. I purposely made ​​the tomb of limestone. It struck me as more original. Like in old churches. Do not like your great French graves, but as a tomb in the Romanesque style in Europe.... smile

#15 Wed, Sep12 2012 8:32am

sevlag
Collector
Website

Great job Master Thingol.
I like the stony effect and especially the white marble of the tomb big_smilewink

#16 Wed, Sep12 2012 1:25pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Thank you, Master Thingol. I think your information is very useful and it also shows how much time you spent to achieve this great effect.
Still I wonder how many people will take part in the competition this time. As usual I won't, as I don't have the time but most of all because I'm a poor painter. So I'll enjoy the results of others again.

#17 Wed, Sep12 2012 2:38pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Yes indeed, thanks master Thingol for telling us some of your techniques to obtain such realistic tomb.
I will not enter into competition as I only managed to add 1st layer on minis faces, which I doubt is sufficient lol

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Sep12 2012 2:39pm)

#18 Thu, Sep13 2012 7:34am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Milo wrote:

Yes indeed, thanks master Thingol for telling us some of your techniques to obtain such realistic tomb.
I will not enter into competition as I only managed to add 1st layer on minis faces, which I doubt is sufficient lol

You should enter into competiton with this idea dear master hobbit... That all the characters in the vignette be grey marble stone statues... tomb of Elessar, which is flanked by Minas Tirith guardsmen, and statues of Arwen and Eldarion... lollollollol it can be completely original idea.... wink

#19 Thu, Sep13 2012 11:14pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Click to close

A preview smile

#20 Fri, Sep14 2012 6:34am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Wiiiii !! big_smile

#21 Fri, Sep14 2012 7:28am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Very nice Master (sir) David the Artisan, very nice smile ......

#22 Fri, Sep14 2012 3:21pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

So it might turn out to be a very nice competition - and there might also be others who are not present here on our site, as it was last time.

#23 Fri, Sep14 2012 5:50pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

It's a bit 'over the top' as they say in Staddle, but I didn't have time on this one to do a lot of tweaking (other model projects got in the way).

But anyway, I thought a nice domed tomb would look ok, the columns could have done with being a little less wide, but it's done now big_smile

Click to close

Click to close

The backdrop, depending on how you see it looks a bit like a mountain scene but is in fact light shining off of the grey backdrop material big_smile

I was going to add a statue of Aragorn as Strider on the top of the dome, but again time was against me.

#24 Fri, Sep14 2012 6:08pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

Very good job Master David as usual winkbig_smile

#25 Fri, Sep14 2012 6:28pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Hm.... winner was here at 7,50 ... I see ... smile

So please one answer dear friend.... where did you buy this dome and other details... for this diorama.... looks really great.

Board footer