Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Apr27 2013 1:58pm

Tolwen
Traveller

Accessoires for Mithril minis

Hi all,
I have been looking some time for accessoires fitting in scale to the Mithril line. Primarily I have been looking for normal animals (cows, pigs, goats, sheep etc.) to include in - future - dioramas (in this context more "normal" people like farmers, servants, maids etc. from Mithril would be very helpful, but the trend is clearly against it). Now I have found some sources for these.

My main question now is whether anyone has noticed (or perhaps even already tried) to use caoutchouc (natural rubber) figurines from the german company Schleich for Middle-earth dioramas and Mithril minis? The Schleich animals are not all of the same scale, so you can't use many of them. Most of the normal farm and wildlife animals are much too big, but a few are acceptable, even if a bit bigger than in the real world. This is not a a big problem, since Tolkien himself alludes to some of the animals being bigger than today (the Mûmaks being the prime example).
I found that the elephants and the Rhinoceros could be very useful as well as some dinosaurs - the latter if you're looking for a "lost world" diorama. Others could be used for a bit oversized but acceptable animals as well.

In the case of the elephants, these could make excellent pieces, especially since Mithril's own Mûmak is so diminutive. wink

Cheers
Tolwen

Visit  Other Minds Magazine, an unofficial magazine for roleplaying and academic interests in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and beyond.

#2 Sat, Apr27 2013 4:31pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: Accessoires for Mithril minis

There also were some nice animals from Elastolin-Hausser once in 4cm scale. Unfortunately that company does not exist any more for quite some years. Well, they're resin, of course.

#3 Sat, Apr27 2013 4:40pm

Tolwen
Traveller

Theobald wrote:

Well, they're resin, of course.

For me, the type of material for these accessoires is secondary. Important is that the scale fits (more or less) and the design quality is acceptable. Once painted, the difference in material is then mitigated wink

CHeers
Tolwen

Visit  Other Minds Magazine, an unofficial magazine for roleplaying and academic interests in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and beyond.

#4 Sun, Jan26 2014 2:16pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Sorry to resurrect the thread, somehow I've missed it until now.

Master Tolwen, there are a wide option in the historic wargame miniature market for animals.

wargames Foundry, Gripping Beast, Sgt Major Miniatures, Copplestone Castings 8unusual animals such yaks, bactrian camels, penguins...).

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

Board footer