Gildor Inglorion wrote:

Smauuuuuuuug on the waaaater wink

lol

#702 Thu, Jul24 2014 12:20pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Re: THE HOBBIT MOVIE

[....Plays guitar riff in his head....]

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#703 Mon, Jul28 2014 4:51pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/07 … r-trailer/

Time zone dependent I believe.

Last edited by ddaines (Mon, Jul28 2014 4:51pm)

#704 Mon, Jul28 2014 6:07pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I deny all knowledge of this "Barliman's chatroom" - the man's a fraud.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#705 Mon, Jul28 2014 7:15pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

OK, just wached it - the rumours of Dwarves mounted on boars weren't true - they seem to be on rams, not boars, but I have to admit they look rather impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzeFFsKEt4

#706 Tue, Jul29 2014 6:59am

Arthadan
Traveller

It looks quite wrong to me. I've got the feeling I'm watching some crazy Dungeons & Dragons movie.

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#707 Tue, Jul29 2014 7:21am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Yep, the mountain sheep / rams / goats or whatever are doubtless the worst aberration that the movies have yet inflicted on Middle-earth, but they're still better than boars. Maybe.

Hollywood rules, as they say. I guess the makers decided they needed to appeal to a different bunch of fans than with the LOTR movies (the result of The Hobbit having been considered a children's book since it was first published probably hasn't helped, since most D&D fans are kids), and they've behaved accordingly. As I've remarked several times before, I'm treating these three films as crazy D&D movies, as you say, rather than serious attempts to adhere to the detail and spirit of the book. By keeping my expectations low I'm therefore still able to enjoy them.

#708 Tue, Jul29 2014 9:04am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

But I think you will have to keep your expectations EXTREMELY low, Master Barliman.

#709 Tue, Jul29 2014 9:59am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Who knows? You may be right. But I shan't form an opinion until I've seen the movie.

#710 Tue, Jul29 2014 1:07pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Hmm, well apparently a lot of the uhm, film work for this trilogy has been done in "post" (ooh, film jargon). In other words, things are shot and then Mr. Jackson messes with it in the editing room. People who have paid more attention than me have spotted lots of odd little incongruities  arising from this approach.

Which is a long way of saying: there were probably boars there before. Now there are goats. Which are just as lame.

However, there are other aspects to the trailer which scream, to me, all the things I've loved about the Middle-earth films. I resent this. I know they are teasing me with Tolkienish wistfulness and armoured elves and so on.

Of course lots of evidence of the "tellytubbies" school of modern film making. Why do we want high resolution 3d films with 48fps? Grump grump.

#711 Tue, Jul29 2014 1:39pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Looks interesting to me.... Although I had long time since crossed the link between Tolkien's world and the modern blockbuster art ... so lets wait to see PJ final cut.... ( I hope in new movie will not be possible to see "The golden dwarf" ) madlol

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#712 Tue, Jul29 2014 6:08pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Another big fight, that's all I can expect from what I see. ... What's the point looking for 3hours of fighting ?
Not many things I see brings me come back on M.E....

I hope I'm wrong and the movie will not be about only a battle.hmm

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#713 Wed, Jul30 2014 10:23am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

PJ and blockbuster machine should kill a lot of Orcs... for it's three hours enough...roll

#714 Thu, Jul31 2014 12:25pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

For those who still like the look of the movies ( for example myself cool ) and are not able to take HD screenshots of the latest trailer,
have a carefully look here:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/battle-of- … creencaps/

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#715 Thu, Jul31 2014 3:24pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Thanks for this, Master Archer. Very useful for examining the images in detail.

While the movie may have embarrassingly little to do with the book, it still looks like great fun. The Dwarf chariot is quite a device!

#716 Tue, Aug5 2014 8:05pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Clip from the extended version DVD wink

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/08 … d-edition/

#717 Tue, Aug5 2014 8:20pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well, I'd be more enthusiastic about this clip if it was actually from the book. Why do there have to be vines, when a boat would have done the job? The vines were thought to be more dramatic and cinematic, I guess, if sillier.

#718 Sun, Aug24 2014 12:47am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I have seen all the miniatures released by that "other" company.
And it makes me really sad.
What a missing chance.
I really made my mind up about phaeton. There should be figures released EVERY month. But it didn´t.
if I remeber right, there should be miniatures released figures of a so called "Necromancer´s Tower" range at the start of April.  There is none.
( and please Gildor, don´t explain that Mr. Tubb is very busy at present . . . )

At the very first time I really come to the serious point to quit . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#719 Sun, Aug24 2014 12:02pm

shadyt
Traveller

I still think that we will see the Necromancer's Tower miniatures. I just don't know when. I agree about the GW stuff. I did not buy any of it. They may release a few more pieces before the last movie.

#720 Sun, Aug24 2014 5:06pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Oh I won't say master Tubb is busy at all, he may be but that's not the reason why the Necromancer is not on sale yet. I have the reason I can tell you exactly by quoting Chris directly :

"                   ...              As for the Phaeton range, I was a bit disappointed in the Destroyer sales and am still a long way from breaking even on this and the more recent releases before it. Analysing the first year or so sales went  extremely well for the first six months and then gradually began to decline. One possibility is that the sales went well at first because of the regularity of the releases and that it was after my original stock of designs ran out and I could'nt keep up the same release schedule that sales began to fall. With this in mind I have decided to build up a stock of figures before releasing any new ones. This will enable me to release two per month again and it will show me whether the regularity does indeed impact on the sales. The Necromancer's tower has been expanded , I am completing the re-make of the Elven princess vignette  ....   Once I have completed  8 months worth of figures I will start to release them once more. If they continue to sell poorly even with the regular release then I will terminate the range. "

well, there you have it smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#721 Mon, Aug25 2014 1:22am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Exactly. :-)

Although we don't know yet when that supply will be ready.

Last edited by twrich (Mon, Aug25 2014 1:24am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#722 Mon, Aug25 2014 5:46pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

To be honest, I am really not surprised about this development which I do not like at all.
For a very long time I've been having very pessimistic thoughts about Phaeton Design.
I wish things went better, indeed.
Gildor, thank you very much for passsing on Chris' thoughts in public.

Er, is this the right place to discuss these matters? I'm not sure.

#723 Mon, Aug25 2014 6:07pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Chris was ok to share this statement with everybody (well the part I posted) so there is no secret about it smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#724 Mon, Aug25 2014 8:14pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

...but there is also part which is secret... or I'm wrong ;-)

#725 Tue, Aug26 2014 7:43am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I can only disclose what I'm told I can disclose of course... or I should say, I cannot disclose what I was told not to share...

Board footer