Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Sat, Jun6 2009 10:34am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: A word from the Man

As for plans and future releases I only know that The Man at the moment is busy with "something special".

#27 Sat, Jun6 2009 11:04am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Do you mean outside of the "known" M and Fellowship releases, Master Tree?

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#28 Sat, Jun6 2009 12:48pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Having talked with Mr. Corless at MFCA (a big show/painting competition in Delaware) this year, I can attest to his continued passion for Mithril.  (I also learned how he met the man and stuff.)  At the last three shows I'd been to (MFCA, Chicago, MFCA), I usually see one other Mithril per show (not counting mine), but in the Manufacturer line of the registration they leave it blank or put a question mark.  They don't even remember what brand they are.  sad

I'm wondering how much the folks at Mithril keep an eye on newest developments in minis.  One thing I know: sometimes the box art alone sells a figure.  The standard in painting of minis has changed dramatically even in just the years I have been painting.  Large, traditionally historical painting competitions are beginning to take fantasy subjects seriously.  I hope the people at Mithril peruse coolminiornot now and again.  Some of the minis are mind blowingly good.  (I really do hate to say it, because I don't want to be mean, but the painters at Mithril don't cut it anymore.  They are on the right track by using that one guy's minis...Fahey?  What's his name?  They need well painted examples for each figure.)  There are so many small manufacturers, but there are only two officially licensed LOTR mini companies.  They need to use this to their advantage.  Just having some kind of presence at shows like Salute and Historicon would be helpful too.

It is to Mithril's advantage to sell their minis from their website.  That way they maximize the profit for each mini.  If they are sold in stores, they have to be sold wholesale to the store owner.  This may explain their lack of marketing to stores.  Still, they can't just expect people to visit the site on their own.  It need not cost a lot in advertising to be a presence.  Linking Mithril and PA would certainly be a start...it's the same company!  More people have heard of PA than Mithril.

One thing that's bugged me a bit (and this is a little off track).  When I painted the Dol Amroth knights, I completely removed the primer.  It is so thick that detail is being hidden (plus, in that case it was already flaking off...that doesn't make for good painting).  They need to go lighter on the primer so the man's hard work can show through better.  That or make unprimered figures available also.  On a happier note.  I really appreciate how nice the casting generally are (they don't overuse a mould) and how well parts fit, especially compared other companies.

Now I'm rambling, so I'll shut up...  lol

Last edited by Wendy (Sat, Jun6 2009 12:49pm)

#29 Sat, Jun6 2009 1:58pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Yes, Barliman, I have met Lars albeit many years ago.  He is a nice enough fellow.  He is a businessman concerned with the bottom line.  I would point out that one of his concerns is just how many Mithril customers there are worldwide.  This is a difficult question to answer, but have a look at the numbers of members both here and at the GF.  No one questions the loyalty of these great folks, but numbers do matter.  Consider this:  even the lamest GW figure sells in the tens, if not hundreds of thousands.  Comparing marketing strategies between Mithril and GW is simply not realistic.  PA has many lines and is diversified for such a small company.  But a small company it remains.  Your really talking about a handful of people (many of whom do not share your passion for Mithril or Tolkien).  Mithril is, as you have heard many times now, Chris' baby.  Heck, Chris knows many of you long time collectors.  Talking to Lars is a good idea, of course, but hostility won't help.  Mithril is an expensive baby when the TE license and costs of production are factored in. Thinking of expanding the interest in Mithril in small steps, with subsequent numbers to back it up is what I think will appeal.  These comments are in the catagory of 'devil's advocate' and should be taken as such.  Ultimately it is the small size of the company and the quality and uniqueness of the product that is the base of our interests.  This is also the root of some of the problems encountered here....And by the way Wendy, I always reprime the figures as I have yet to see any miniature that doesn't need some kind of prep (mold lines, sprues, flash) which in the case of Mithril will mean scraping through the primer.

#30 Sat, Jun6 2009 3:59pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Agree with both of you re the Mithril primer - it absolutely floods the fine detail, especially mail armour! I find it a real pain; and for the record I don't prime my figures at all - never have - but then that's one of the advantages of using enamels.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#31 Sat, Jun6 2009 4:20pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Theobald wrote:

As for plans and future releases I only know that The Man at the moment is busy with "something special".

Perhaps, Master Tree, are you referring to what Michael said in the last Newsletter?

Chris is also looking into making a FREE figure for those who have purchased 12 different figures over the last 12 months and I will find out how that is progressing too.

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#32 Sat, Jun6 2009 5:07pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Of course I was referring to that, Master Erchamion, and I really felt happy reading that, as you might imagine. It is about something special that was introduced with the GFM. Huoommm .... one figure for 12 months ..... rhuooommmm ... though I am aware that this puts more workload on The Man's list ... so if he cannot find the time, I wouldn't be sad about it .... rhuoommm ... it's just my way of trying to stick to some Mithril-traditions, such as the Christmas figures, you know ... huooommmm ... though .... considering ... such a figure mustn't necessarily be for free, methinks ... hom

#33 Sat, Jun6 2009 6:54pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

@rita.de : it is the Man himself , when providing the pics to individual persons, who does not want them to be published anywhere... it would be possible to do so here and he knows this... but he wants not to be revealed and I respect that...

as for him being a member of the MMP forum.... he has been a member for quite a lot of months already... but he does not have time to come read and post... but he is there smile incognito... hehehe

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#34 Sat, Jun6 2009 9:52pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huoommmrhuoommm ... that's good to know, Master Gildor ... huom ... and let me add that I also share your respect about certain matters you just explained to Master Rita.de ... ... huom

#35 Sat, Jun6 2009 10:42pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

As certainly I do ! But what you explained to me Gildor, has been mentioned already . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#36 Sat, Jun6 2009 11:54pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Ahhh ... that good old "repetito non placet" ... rhuoommm ... don't mind, Master Rita.de ... once you grow old as me you won't mind ... rhuoooooommm .. hom hom hom

Board footer