Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#6651 Wed, Jun29 2011 12:59pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Re: The Taproom

I didn't.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#6652 Wed, Jun29 2011 4:46pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... but you know what happened to Quintilius Varus and his legions when he tried to retreat westwards through that area ... huoommm ... I know that history tells a different tale, but mind that Ents are living there ... rhuoommm   wink
huoommm ... The Man sculpted marvellous figures and small dioramas about that, by the by ... rhuoommm ... but I'm afraid he also forgot about them trees ... rhuoommm ... I don't mind, as it's the free choice of an artist ... huoommm

#6653 Wed, Jun29 2011 4:56pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Theobald wrote:

huoommm ... sorry, Osning is the old name for the Teutoburger Forest, if you don't know .. huom

Talking of which Master Tree - do you have photographs of this forest please? I have a few TW TM miniatures to paint up and some scenic reference material would be of enormous help, and yes, the Man's sculpting on the figures is outstanding as is the casting quality smile

#6654 Wed, Jun29 2011 4:58pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Bye the way, congratulations Barli I was hoping this suggestion would win - a good job I suggested Merry and the Ruffian, lol.

As it is the Bar-keep's victory this month can we expect a Happy Hour and a 'lock in' big_smile ?

#6655 Wed, Jun29 2011 5:58pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I was hoping it would win too! But to have a lock-in we'd need a key...Have you ever known this place to be locked?

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#6656 Wed, Jun29 2011 7:09pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huuoommm .... Master Ddaines, as for pics of and from the Teutoburger Forest ... well, I hope you know that it's quite a large mountainy-foresty-range with many different kind of trees, lots of small lakes, some .... alas ... I'll try to find my wide-angle-thing for that camera-piece ... lol
anyway, I'll try to get somethings for you, Master Ddaines ... rhuoommmm ... though I dunno what exactly you need ... huoommm ...

#6657 Wed, Jun29 2011 7:16pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Rhuuoommm ... ahh, yes, our barkeep has won again, meseems ... huoomm ... congratulations ... huom ... kept me vote up to the last moment just to confirm that ... gruuoommm ... this time I simply was convinced that the suggestion was the only one clearly being based on those Tolkien-writings ... huoom .. as far as I know ... hooooooommmm ...

err, huommm ... what now, Master Barliman? ......    huoommm?

#6658 Wed, Jun29 2011 7:22pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Now you get a drink!

#6659 Wed, Jun29 2011 9:34pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Theobald wrote:

Huuoommm .... Master Ddaines, as for pics of and from the Teutoburger Forest ... well, I hope you know that it's quite a large mountainy-foresty-range with many different kind of trees, lots of small lakes, some .... alas ... I'll try to find my wide-angle-thing for that camera-piece ... lol
anyway, I'll try to get somethings for you, Master Ddaines ... rhuoommmm ... though I dunno what exactly you need ... huoommm ...

That would be most kind of you Master Tree - I was just looking for a couple of samples of what type of terrain the two sides would have fought in so that when I get around to the figures I have a little 'atmosphere' to inspire me. Some of the images I have Googled look a bit 'bland'.

David

#6660 Wed, Jun29 2011 10:15pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoomm... Master Ddaines, I'm not sure about discussing that matter here ... hruûom ... as not everybody might be interested in it ... huoommm ... though I'll try to do what I can, of course ... huoommm ... I could give you more information in some time, as I really cannot haste everything ... huoommm ... but I will ... huommm

#6661 Wed, Jun29 2011 10:43pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Theobald wrote:

Huoomm... Master Ddaines, I'm not sure about discussing that matter here ... hruûom ... as not everybody might be interested in it ... huoommm ... though I'll try to do what I can, of course ... huoommm ... I could give you more information in some time, as I really cannot haste everything ... huoommm ... but I will ... huommm

No indeed, the subject is not being raised here for discussion for the very reason mentioned smile, but when I saw mention of the Teutoberger Forest it reminded me of an upcoming venture. Indeed there is no hurry - I have a Balrog thingy and many smaller mithrils to attend to first wink

#6662 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:01pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huooommm ... as I have some spare time this afternoon, Master Ddaines, I hasted around a bit to give you an impression of the good old Osning ... rhuoomm .... I hope the others around here won't mind as this also provides an idea of the region where I'm living ... huoommm ...

Click to close
... err, sorry ... I didn't place that transmitting aerial there ...

Click to close

see, there are lots of trees around ... huoommm

#6663 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:06pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

As you say, shame about the radio mast! Always an effective way of ruining a wonderful view. How many ent-strides did it take to get to the height from where you took the picture?

#6664 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:08pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Oh, what beautiful scenery! It must be beautiful in Autumn ... smile

Master Theobald, you must be busy taking care of so many trees ..... big_smile

This explains why you're so thirsty in the Pony....tongue

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#6665 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:20pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... as for the "clades Variana" as the Romans called it, the exact place is still being discussed for decades ... huoommm ... to cut it very short ... those three legions passed somewhere here and were forced to pass a narrow ground between swamps and a ridge of hills, which meant they were not able to display any battle formation they were used to ... rhuoomm ...

Click to close

Huoommm ... so they were attacked for many days from the flanks in a well-prepared area ...

Click to close

huoomm ... this picture shows a small part of the fieldwork behind which the attackers waited ...
rhuuoommm ... so there was no chance to return for them Romans or even find ground enough to display their skilled strategy ... huoommm ... so they were doomed and lost ... huoomm ...
I hope it helps you a bit, Master Ddaines .... rhuoommm ....

#6666 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:36pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... oh, others are around here ... rhuomm ... well, Master Barliman, the first two pictures were taken from a statue or monument overlooking those woody grounds ... huomm...
the last one was taken at an archaeological site a bit further north ... huoomm ... ahh, yes, here also is some pre-historical shrine consisting of strange rocks with carved caves in them and a carved astrological platform on one of the tops .... huoommm ... must be older than me ...

Click to close

Rhuoommm ... I always thought to show our 'Travelling Elrond' these places, but as Master Ddaines asked, I placed the pics here without him ... rhuoommm ... I'm sure I can show him many other nice places once he gets here ... rhuoommmmtidom ...

#6667 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:44pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Theobald wrote:

huoomm ... this picture shows a small part of the fieldwork behind which the attackers waited ...
rhuuoommm ... so there was no chance to return for them Romans or even find ground enough to display their skilled strategy ... huoommm ... so they were doomed and lost ... huoomm ...
I hope it helps you a bit, Master Ddaines .... rhuoommm ....

Click to close

Click to close

wink smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#6668 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:48pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huooommmmrhuooommm ... thank you very much for providing these pics here, Master Erchamion .... huoommm ... excellent ....

#6669 Thu, Jun30 2011 12:56pm

cameosis
Master of Languages

the second one is an angus mcbride painting!

Esse quam videri. (Marcus Tullius Cicero)

#6670 Thu, Jun30 2011 1:09pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Altogether a very interesting selection of pictures, Master Tree. It's always nice to see an area that has managed to remain unchanged for the best part of 2,000 years (or probably, in this case, a great, great many more). You live in a very nice neck of the woods indeed (er, if you'll forgive the unintentional pun).

#6671 Thu, Jun30 2011 1:10pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huuoommmm ... and I hope everybody around here knows about those very masterpieces of sculpting by The Man .... rhuoommm ... they are what I would like to call "sculpting at its best" ... rhuoommm ... though it has got nothing to do with Master Tolkien ... huoomm ... but you may understand now why I also like this topic very much .... huooommmmm ...

#6672 Thu, Jun30 2011 1:30pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I'd love one day to visit this area.... nice pictures master Tree... and about figures.... connected with this small conversation... one day when I collect some extra money I will buy whole TEUTOBURGER SERIES 1 & TEUTOBURGER SERIES 2 figures...
especially DS-TW9 THE EAGLE STANDS UNTIL DEATH ... awesome !

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#6673 Thu, Jun30 2011 2:06pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huuoommm ... you're welcome to visit this area, Master Thingol, just give me a sign ... huoomm

#6674 Thu, Jun30 2011 2:17pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Hooommmm ... Master Barliman, I especially do like unintentional buns ... huommrhuomm ...

#6675 Thu, Jun30 2011 2:37pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Good, because they're the only kind that Nob can bake (they start out intending to be pies...).

Board footer