Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Sep16 2015 2:03am

orc
Adventurer

Painters League

Dear All

I want to do a proposal to all of you.... what do you thing if we do a Mithril Painters league? the idea is promove mithril miniatures and try the people paint their miniatures. we can include more themes and diferent contest like for example:

"Best single miniature" (can accept conversions using mithril miniatures parts)
"Best Diorama" (no need explain to much about this)
'best Mithril unit" (5 or more miniatures)
.......????

All people who want to participate must put 10-15 euros (for a hole year so he has the right to participate in all contest inside this year). this money is going to help to pay the Forum expenses.
All month we celebrate these contest....choose the best work by theme...and the end of the year....the people choose the best one from the winners!
We can talk with mithril.ie....may be they can accept...the final winner...has the right to decide his own mithril miniature? like the fellowship members but without  votes hehehe ....If they don't accept....with part of the money we are going to put for "inscription" we can buy a mithril award to the winner? ...
We can do a pull, and let the people decide who is the winner! We can talk with Mithril.ie to show the "competition" in their web...and another forums.... to give more live to this project/Forum!

Is only one idea....let me know what do you thing....come on guys!!!!!....big_smile

Last edited by orc (Wed, Sep16 2015 2:09am)

Click to close

#2 Wed, Sep16 2015 8:52am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Re: Painters League

This is very new and good idea. I am in, and it might help me to take my brushes out from the attic.

It's always a good feeling to see a member bringing friendship, life and spirit here, even when it is an orc. cool

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Sep16 2015 8:52am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#3 Wed, Sep16 2015 8:43pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Interesting idea Orc wink

#4 Wed, Sep16 2015 11:06pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

ddaines wrote:

Interesting idea Orc wink

Indeed.... hm

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#5 Thu, Sep17 2015 12:15pm

Gerold
Adventurer

I'm all in.
But in fact I don't need a competition to do paintwork. It's stronger than myself, I just have to paint those damned Mithril figures and I do my best to give them the best look I can. With or without competition.
Seeing the pictures of painted figures of someone else, even if it's an orc, it inspires me to paint my own.
Look out for some pictures from me in near future...

#6 Fri, Sep18 2015 12:39pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

It's an idea.

Hopefully, very soon, I can devote more time to painting. I've sort of let things slip in the last few years. Time to up my game again.

#7 Fri, Sep18 2015 2:56pm

Maenas
Traveller

It's a neat idea... I will throw in another related one, a simplified version maybe...
(Copied this idea from Coolminiornot site, were a user "webmonkey" organizes them there)

Each month or every-other month we can open a thread with a common theme such as "ladies", "maya" "trolls" "fighting dudes" or like "bearers of the rings" and people make a list with their participation, once the inscription period is over, we continue on that very thread to share our progress in the project (serves as a proof that you are actually painting the mini during the period), at the end we must put a picture of the finished mini at a certain date, then we start voting each others work and at the end we will have a winner. Without prizes, without too much pressure (only to finish the mini up to a certain date) and with the feeling of sharing our processes and learning from each other.

Here is the link on the first I had participated, it was this July:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/sho … ot-Contest

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#8 Sun, Sep20 2015 9:29am

orc
Adventurer

Good Idea Master Maenas!!!, so.... we can start next month and let the people decide if they want to joing us!

Any idea to choose the Theme every month? By other side need someone  to write to mithril.ie and explain ours idea, I hope they can suport this project like to show some photos from the contest in their web!! Who can do this?

Come on Guys!!! let's do it!!!!!!big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Last edited by orc (Sun, Sep20 2015 9:33am)

Click to close

#9 Sun, Sep20 2015 2:13pm

gondolin
Traveller

Count me in!big_smile

#10 Wed, Sep23 2015 2:17pm

Maenas
Traveller

orc wrote:

.../.... By other side need someone  to write to mithril.ie and explain ours idea, I hope they can suport this project like to show some photos from the contest in their web!! Who can do this?/...

I would say, let's try it and if we get it working and with people participating we can then try to contact mithril with some "results" in hand wink

Let's start a list with monthly ideas (numbers just for reference and/or future randomization):

1. Ladies and lassies of middle earth
2. Maya month, and it is not the bee!
3. Trolls or the thing you don't want to face in the night.
4. Fighting dudes, like in the batman tv show or even better.
5. Ringbearers, Hey I did wear it, you don't?
6. Black is the absence of colour, or the Nazgul month
7. Manly men, or how to wear a long beard and it's multiple uses
8. Mikea or middle earth furniture, plants and nature friends
9. Plate armour, is it a myth or not?
10. To the spears!! or the month of the rider
11. Are all orcs green?
12. The third breakfast or how to became a good hobbit by "the attic warden"
13. Is it hot down there? or the "southern thing" month
14. To elf or not to elf or the "do they have pointy ears?" month.
15. Postcards from middle earth, or which vignette I choose for this month?

Well I wanted to put in some distinctive names "to break the ice" as we say in my country, everyone can add more!!

Edited point 11, to change it according to arthadan's suggestion.

Last edited by Maenas (Thu, Sep24 2015 10:58am)

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#11 Thu, Sep24 2015 9:48am

Arthadan
Traveller

I think is a great idea, could give me an excuse to paint more Mithril... however I'm a quite slow painter and I don't know if one month would suffice.

By the way, I suggest renaming the #11: 11. Are all middle earth orcs green?

I think it should be "no green orcs in Middle-earth"... at least according to Tolkien tongue

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#12 Thu, Sep24 2015 10:57am

Maenas
Traveller

Yup you are completely right Arthadan, and that's precisely the intention of tue 11.th question, just to give relevance to it xD
But maybe putting "Are all orcs green?" would have been better so I proceed to change it now ^^
On the dates and periods of painting they will be a little bit flexible, no worries, this is not a super active site either so longer periods should be expected wink

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#13 Thu, Sep24 2015 11:09am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Master Maenas, I thank you for all these very goodsuggestions! I thinks it is good enough to start in october, no matter which ones. tongue

#14 Thu, Sep24 2015 1:53pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Maenas wrote:

Yup you are completely right Arthadan, and that's precisely the intention of tue 11.th question, just to give relevance to it xD

Point taken! smile

If we're going to have more than one month consider me in!

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#15 Thu, Sep24 2015 3:37pm

orc
Adventurer

Great suggestions Master Maenas, I'm agree with Master Milo, let's start in October....and Like Master Arthadan say...better give more time.... so come on guys! Join the Mithril's Painters League!!!wink

Last edited by orc (Thu, Sep24 2015 3:37pm)

Click to close

#16 Fri, Sep25 2015 1:56pm

Maenas
Traveller

Ok!!
So far we have these participants:
Orc
Milo
Gerold
Gondolin
Arthadan
Maenas
--------------
Gavin ?
Thingol ?
Ddaines ?

I will roll a d20 die this afternoon and see which is the randomly chosen theme!!
Let's start this very first from the 2nd of October and give time till the 15th of November to finish the mini, we can then expand or contract the time period to fit everyone participating.

This way all of you that are reading these lines can decide to come over here and participate! We will learn from each others techniques and experiences, your level is not important, participation is.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#17 Fri, Sep25 2015 7:42pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Okay, count me in wink

#18 Sat, Sep26 2015 9:19am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I'm not sure if I'll be "in", in this first few rounds.... why !?!?! Actually I do not have any unpainted mithril miniatures at home. All 900 are already painted... and new one MS614 I didn't buy yet.... and I do not have plans to buy figures only for painting competition sad sad sad

I will wait for some time... or I can be a judge in beggining...

#19 Sat, Sep26 2015 6:27pm

Maenas
Traveller

Thingol wrote:

I do not have any unpainted mithril miniatures at home. All 900 are already painted...

I wish I could say that very same sentence some day xD xD

It does not matter if you can't participate with a mini at the moment. But you can share your thoughts with the rest of us, and vote at the end of the process ^^

I even would dare to say that if you have some "in process" pics of a mini that goes with the theme you can put it them just as if you were working on them.

Participants so far:
Orc
Milo
Gerold
Gondolin
Arthadan
Ddaines
Thingol: Special guest wink
Maenas
--------------
Gavin: maybe on the next one ?

I just throwed a D20 die and on the second attempt, the lucky number was, 7 so the theme is going to be:
Manly men, or how to wear a long beard and it's multiple uses
So go check mithril's range and search for bearded minis!! You have till the 2nd of November to locate a mini. (some more days are allowed don't worry we have flexibility!)
Tips:
Balrog is valid! Some giant too!
If you feel brave enough you all can also modify a mini to match the theme. And no, a bearded Galadriel can be ugly, so you better don't try that.

Last edited by Maenas (Sat, Sep26 2015 6:31pm)

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#20 Sun, Sep27 2015 3:53pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Thingol wrote:

I'm not sure if I'll be "in", in this first few rounds.... why !?!?! Actually I do not have any unpainted mithril miniatures at home. All 900 are already painted... and new one MS614 I didn't buy yet.... and I do not have plans to buy figures only for painting competition sad sad sad

Master Thingol, if you need mithril miniatures ? just ask, you know I have plenty in my attics.

#21 Sun, Sep27 2015 4:57pm

orc
Adventurer

Well done Master Maenas! I'm going to paint my bearded Radagast, not very happy with mithril miniature, so...I must prepare a conversion!!big_smile

what do you thing if we talk about the the Painters league in Mithril forum?

Click to close

#22 Mon, Sep28 2015 8:59am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Thingol wrote:

You have painted ALL of your miniatures Nino!! You may as well strip the paint off and start over again to give you something to do  lol

#23 Mon, Sep28 2015 10:18am

Maenas
Traveller

orc wrote:

Well done Master Maenas! I'm going to paint my bearded Radagast, not very happy with mithril miniature, so...I must prepare a conversion!!big_smile

what do you thing if we talk about the the Painters league in Mithril forum?

I would say, let this first one start, and once started we can share (link) it there. Do not know what other people think about this anyway so it would be nice to know what their thoughts are.

Remember this Friday is the first day, so from then on, we all can start.  I think that opening a specific thread for it to not mess up this one, and leave this one for general talk about the "league", future contests, and all related issues would be a nice idea. Will name that new thread "Mithril's painters league 01" so there can be an order to follow up and link.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#24 Mon, Sep28 2015 6:47pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Milo wrote:

Thingol wrote:

Master Thingol, if you need mithril miniatures ? just ask, you know I have plenty in my attics.

Fine proposal dear hobbit friend... but I will wait for a while.... smile

#25 Mon, Sep28 2015 6:57pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

ddaines wrote:

Thingol wrote:

You have painted ALL of your miniatures Nino!! You may as well strip the paint off and start over again to give you something to do  lol

It is better to put them in nitro thinner a few days .... requires significantly less physical exertion.... rollcool

Board footer