Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Poll

Which of the entries of this league 02 is your favourite??

1. Orc: MS589 King Ostoher from Cardolan
0% - 0
2. Turambar: M239 Orodreth of Nargothrond
62% - 5
3. Ddaines: MS534 Isildur and the One Ring
12% - 1
4. Milo: M93 Zalg the Goblin-King
12% - 1
5. Maenas: M247 Elf-warrior of Nargothrond
0% - 0
6. Gerold: m432 Infantry with sword/axe (Lossarnach)
0% - 0
7. Axel: m273 Cirdan at Gorgoroth
12% - 1

Total : 8

#1 Tue, Feb9 2016 7:22pm

Maenas
Traveller

Mithril's painting league 02 - Votings and opinions on finished works

Little ruling for all willing to vote (same than in League 01):
1. All contestants are to vote for other one than himself, since we cannot control this we would entrust everyone's honour wink
2. You should only vote once, and for your preferred entry. (don't know if this poll app. controls this either)
3. To know which entry to vote you can check evolution and final pictures of all the entries here: http://mmp.faerylands.eu/viewtopic.php?id=780
4. Non contestants are also allowed and encouraged to participate so please help us to vote and to argue or justify their vote if they think they need to do so.
5. There are no prices, this is just for fun and for sharing our painting processes and tips, it is also for encouraging our community to paint this little wonders that have taken a little part of our heart.
6. It is completely optional to reveal your vote, and to post comments, don't feel obliged, just do as you feel.

======================
There is a common theme to all the entries and this time was (*fun mode on):
"Plate armour, is it a myth or not?"

Here are the participants:
1. Orc: MS589 King Ostoher from Cardolan --> Failed to post pics in time so he's out of contest, though he can still post final pics for us to see!
2. Turambar: M239 Orodreth of Nargothrond --> Final pics
3. Ddaines: MS534 Isildur and the One Ring --> Final pics
4. Milo: M93 Zalg the Goblin-King --> Final pics
5. Maenas: M247 Elf-warrior of Nargothrond --> Final pics
6. Gerold: m432 Infantry with sword/axe (Lossarnach) --> Final pics
7. Axel: m273 Cirdan at Gorgoroth --> Final pics

Thingol: finally decided to not participate, and wait for the next league.

Edited to comment about Orc

Last edited by Maenas (Fri, Feb12 2016 11:00am)

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#2 Tue, Feb9 2016 10:47pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Re: Mithril's painting league 02 - Votings and opinions on finished works

Well to make things fair I am awaiting Master Orc's pictures to appear before casting my vote. Some very nice work here people wink

#3 Wed, Feb10 2016 6:29pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Here  my comments. I do not vote yet for I would like to see Maseter orc work before making a decision.

Orc:
+ : ...
- : Where are you ?

Turambar:
+ : The improvment on cape for thickness is perfect. Free hand is incredible. Diorama is very well proportioned. 2nd picture is my favourite. I also like the way you painted the sword.
- :The bottom part on back for cape, is it dust ? Brown spots (mud ?) behind free hand seems not appropriate as if it should be the contrary: mud above free hand).

Ddaines :
+ : I really love the way you have used this miniature. Great idea and global vision is really cool. I even did not recognise the mini at the beginning.
- : Blue tone is nice but it seems plate became kind of clothes. Maybe a bit more trnasparency (very hard) could improve metalic aspect?

Maenas:
+ : Free hand is reall cool. I also noted hard & fine work on plate armor parts. Bravo.
- : Picture does not deserve your technique as I do not see the face. Blood is a bit too much on the base

Gerold :
+: I like this clean painting with nice mailcoat. The face is good with great eyes.
-: same red color for shield, arm and trouser makes the clothes a bit flat.

Axel:
+ : Having a full metal mini, even the head is a good idea.
- : Metallic parts on legs could be improved compared to shoulders.

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Feb10 2016 6:30pm)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#4 Wed, Feb10 2016 10:04pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Comments:

Maenas; I like the strong colours of the cloak and the fine line work of the cloak’s patterns. The plate and mail look to be well done although the image of the final figure ‘flares’ a bit so I can’t see all of the detail or his face, but looking at your WIP shots of the almost finished figure I can see the details a lot better. A nice job on a nice figure.

Milo: Nice rendering of this figure, I personally like the muted colours you have used. I’m not 100% sure if you have given him a green skin or whether this is the photo effect, if it is green that would be my only criticism as I am a black/brown/grey skin fan for Tolkien orcs and goblins. Plenty of detail to highlight.

Gerold: Nice to see a different colour scheme for Lossarnach other than blue. Nice attempt at the facial features, I can’t remember the last time I was able to paint eyes on a MM figure. I guess he just about qualifies for this round as his shoulder plates are ‘plate’, LOL. As an added extra comment (Milo’s fault) regarding the red ‘paint’ of the shield being the same as the red of the clothes, a small point, but worth filing away for future reference.

Axel: I have used your image in the ‘link’ to view this figure as the picture is smaller and not so grainy (even if the same photo). The finished effect is very nice and makes the figure look imposing; I wonder if using a black ‘wash’ rather than dry-brushing would show the detail up better? Not a criticism, just a thought.

Turambar: I would expect nothing less than a mini-masterpiece from your work-bench. Great use of Oil colours and the rendering of the fine detail on Orodreth’s cloak is nicely done (I think I see what Milo means about weathering appearing to be behind the pattern, but I think I also see the white being a bit dirtier in those areas). I repeat what I have previously said on the post, 'so much detail in so little space'.

Orc: I will base comments upon the work in progress image (I hope all is well with you and the delay is nothing serious); if you do manage to post finished pictures I will edit. Difficult to see from the WIP if the plate armour is dull or just muted in colour, OR, looking at the McBride artwork, is it leather armour? I can’t tell, but I think that is what I am painting it as on my version (started, but not completed!!!). Hopefully the sword will be straightened as you have mentioned.

p.s. I should mention in response to Milo's critique regarding Ilildur's plate looking blue. This is in fact a surcoat (my intention anyway wink ) and not plate hence the colour.

Last edited by ddaines (Wed, Feb10 2016 10:07pm)

#5 Thu, Feb11 2016 10:18am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

mmmmhhhh- this second edition of "painter´s league" seems to be a little odd . . .
The deadline has been extended, still works are missing,
a member place only one single (and blurry)- pic,
nobody wants to take part in the poll . . .

The enthusiasm is outstanding!!!!!

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#6 Thu, Feb11 2016 12:43pm

Gerold
Adventurer

My comments:

Turambar : very nice piece in an spectacular setting, and the work with the coat is impressive. I don’t even think about beginning such a work. The drawing on the coat is well done, only shame of the ‘mud’ on it. Face also well done. The scenery is a great piece, but I am wondering : why is he standing there ?

Ddaines : I really like the way this figure is painted ; nice color pattern, smoothly painted face, and original setting, with an interesting story about the scource material of this scene. 

Milo : I like the way you have used different kinds of green on this figure, combined with some red and metal details. Maybe it’s a bit too much green, but after all that’s a matter of taste.

Maenas : I’m a big fan of this figure. The blue cloak is very nicely done, and the inner side is also well succeeded with the sponge effect. I'm going to try this myself… Face is well done, the blood spats on the sword look realistic. But the metal parts are a bit too shiny for me. Maybe because of the light when taking the picture ?

Axel : not easy to comment as the picture is blurry, although the metal parts seem well done. Face is hard to say…

#7 Thu, Feb11 2016 2:03pm

Arthadan
Traveller

I won't vote in the poll since I'm not paticipating, but some comments if I may..

First, you have all my respect for your comittment (I can't keep your pace!)

Before going into details, I think Master Orc is on holidays, so I doubt he can post anything until he's back.

- Turambar: Great as always. I've always loved that miniature and you have made a great work bringing it to life. As noted before, the freehand on the cloak works very well. Maybe some more contrast between the background and the miniature would have been nice, as the grey stone and the silver armour are a bit close.

- Ddaines: Great skill. I like all the elements considered individually (base and miniature) , but I find the base too distracting for the composition. My eyes go straight to the door, and then my attention is divided between Isildur and the colourful floor. I think more muted colors for the floor and no door would have worked better.

- Milo: Nice choice of miniature! I specially like the highlights on the red fabric around his neck. I find the cloak and the skin too close, making the miniature a bit confusing and there is a mould line on the inside of the cloak. 

- Maenas: Nice metals, but I think the picture is overexposed and I can't really make out his face. Maybe bigger pics would be nice. Cloak looks great though.

- Gerold: This is what I call "tabletop painting level". Nothing wrong with it, but you could benefit of risking more with highlights. Also, playing with different shades of red for clothes and shield could make the miniature more interesting (after all it would be really difficult to have your shield matching exactly your clothes). I think you've achieved a very natural color for the blond / light brown hair.

- Axel: As noted before, pic is blury. I think the miniature would benefit from stronger highlights, as all the metal armour looks  the same. Working reflections and giving the chainmail a different tone from the plates so you can tell it apart would make it more interesting in my opinion. Can't comment the face as I can't see it properly.

Last edited by Arthadan (Thu, Feb11 2016 5:45pm)

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#8 Thu, Feb11 2016 11:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Is there just the one vote cast? Or can't we see other votes from our own screen?

It does say non-participants can vote as well so no excuses hmm wink

Last edited by ddaines (Thu, Feb11 2016 11:09pm)

#9 Fri, Feb12 2016 11:16am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I have just voted as Master orc is not with us this time.

I like comments I read. Concerning Zalg green comments, it maybe  due to pics taken by dawn?
Skin is dark with several browns and 1 with little drop olive green in the mix I used for last layer only. I agree this highlight looks more green than I intended.wink

I invite everyonee reading this league to vote and comment. This is very useful.

Last edited by Milo (Fri, Feb12 2016 11:19am)

#10 Fri, Feb12 2016 11:54am

Maenas
Traveller

Turambar wrote:

mmmmhhhh- this second edition of "painter´s league" seems to be a little odd . . .
The deadline has been extended, still works are missing, a member place only one single (and blurry)- pic, nobody wants to take part in the poll . . . The enthusiasm is outstanding!!!!!

It is a pity indeed, but I extended the deadline for the benefit of the participants. I Added orc to the poll because I though he would appear and post his final image, but a couple of days have passed and he doesn't commit so today I felt obliged to left him out. ;(
At the same time that could also have been the reason behind people not voting, just to respect him. Now that he is "out" I hope some more votes come in (though now I cannot modify the poll to delete his entry) Maybe this was an error on my part (starting the poll counting him in, but we are so few that every entry counts a million) so I am very sorry for that inconvenience.

So now onto my opinions about everyone's work wink

1. Orc: MS589 King Ostoher from Cardolan
As I commented above he can still post his final pics whenever he can, although the deadline has past I am interested in which his results where because his approximation was very interesting.

2. Turambar: M239 Orodreth of Nargothrond
As I said in the past, I love the "aura" on his work. But in this specific miniature a closer inspection lessens the final "punctuation" imo. a little "dusty" finish, and as some fellows pointed out before, hair, plate armour and background are a bit too similar. Also putting the mud behind the freehand on the cape was a bit of an error ;( anyways I feel obligued to say that the freehand on the cloak is awesome and it pretty alone could win the contest for me!!! In fact looking from an arm distance or a little more I think it is one of the best entries if not the best.

3. Ddaines: MS534 Isildur and the One Ring
Within all this long years I feel that your miniature paint is still improving so congratulations on that. I like the colours you have chosen for Isildur and the little story you worked for him although it is a bit big for a single entry and in other contests it could be moved onto a diorama category wink Reusing the "book stand" from the gandalf and saruman vignete was a good idea!!

4. Milo: M93 Zalg the Goblin-King
Your entry surprised me a lot, because I also feel your paintwork is improving, in fact I voted for your entry xP just for that and for trying NMM. The general impression matches my image for orcs pretty good (dark and dull). Your NMM aproach is good too as it cheats the eye in some places to believe it's metal so perfect for that (great 2nd try!!). I can also see a little red detail on the cape though I do not know what it is. Pity about the mold-line running though the inner-left side of cape!! The skin tone is good too being somewhere between greens yellows and browns.

5. Maenas: M247 Elf-warrior of Nargothrond
I agree with you all, pics are a little small and flare a bit with those metals. This is mainly because I rushed a bit while making the pics. I also agree with you Milo about the blood on the floor I overextended it a bit too much xP

6. Gerold: m432 Infantry with sword/axe (Lossarnach)
This is for an army so it is more than enough for that purpose. Painting a beard was a good idea because it gives a little differentiation from his other mates! Also giving him eyes was a good thing too since Mithril scale is enough big for miniatures to have eyes, although sometimes the sculpt C.Tubb puts on them gives us a hard time painting them!! If you want to level it up, you could add some shades to the chainmail (folds and "shadowy parts") and the inner or lower sides of the red robes. Also some highlights on the more exposed parts will benefit your final result (shoulders, chest..).

7. Axel: m273 Cirdan at Gorgoroth
Axel said that he was going to post some more pics, but he finally didn't so he really did not share his process that much, although he explained pretty well what he did in his post. The pic is blurry so thumbs down for that. Anyway looks pretty good and maybe could benefit from some more work on the skin and some matt or satin varnish over it (skin) would improve the final result imo. I must say that I like the miniature a lot and it's perfect for the contest aim (practising on metals)

And yes please, NON PARTICIPANTS ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE AND COMMENT in fact I ask them to do so, just to enrich all the process!!

Last edited by Maenas (Fri, Feb12 2016 11:58am)

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#11 Fri, Feb12 2016 2:02pm

Gerold
Adventurer

I voted for Isildur, Ddaines' entry ; even without the scenery, I liked the figure the most because of the colorfullness of the clothes and metals and for the realistic details on the face.
Thanks for the comments so far ; if I ever paint this Lossarnach army, I'll try to bring the advice tips into practice!

#12 Fri, Feb12 2016 11:21pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Master Gerold I tell you what:
King Orodreth has to stand somewhere, right? As it is intended by the sculptor´s pose. This figure is STANDING somewhere.
But WHERE? What would you have made the decision of? A plain? A shore? A wood? A desert?
Well- reading the Silmarillion there is the destroyed bridge over the river Narog mentioned . . .
Further the destroyed Elven realm of Nargothrond by Glaurung. A dragon that is!
Use your imagination adn you will find the answer.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#13 Sat, Feb13 2016 9:40am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

So all figures are fine.... but I like mort then other just one this time..... Master Turambar's concept.... and painting work...

Comment for all.... short one

Master Milo even better than last time..... your painitng skill's are much better...and Master skiled artisan great as ususal ;-)

Master Gerold.... nice but as I told before... I cannot imagine such a big eyes on such a small figures...

Master Meanes... you painting work also looks very nice but it is not possible to see in those pictures... photos are to glossy so it is not possible to see some painting details....

Axel.... nice.... but as you wrote in your post.... I could be better smile

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#14 Sun, Feb14 2016 7:10pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Congratulations master archer for your art deserves a win. I am happy to have voe for you.

Let's share a drink and discuss about next round with good fellows and ale.cool

#15 Mon, Feb15 2016 9:33am

Maenas
Traveller

Well it seems voting is almost over and our master Archer is ahead so a well deserved win for his precious work!!
I'll join you both at the pony... oh and I would like to taste that Ricard... I haven't heard it before nor I know it's taste ^^

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#16 Mon, Feb15 2016 10:40am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

So- Thanks to everybody who has voted for me- and has voted generally . . .

Well that "Ricard" is a "Pastis de Mareilles" but it is NOT the "Pastis"- which is a "Patis de Marseilles" also!
A "Anisado"-like, Pernod-like Degestif, with 46% much stronger than that Irish-Whiskey Master B. prefers.
Therefore you need a bit of clear water to enjoy that Ricard the most!
Not that sweet as a Pernod and has got a bit more "bite" as a Pastis- I would say!

You should defenetely have a try, Master Maenas!

Last edited by Turambar (Mon, Feb15 2016 10:41am)

#17 Mon, Feb15 2016 3:00pm

Maenas
Traveller

mmmm... looks pretty appealing... I might try to find it.. will ask my dwarven toy merchant for it. ^^

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#18 Mon, Feb15 2016 8:53pm

hsf62
Master Caster

You also can drink it on the rocks! Very nice indeed, as is all the painting work showed in the painting league here. Master Turambar, in my opinion your mini is the first choise for me too because I just love the "ambiente" you capture with putting the figures into these small dioramas!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#19 Mon, Feb15 2016 10:35pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

A very long time passed since I have heard words like this out ouf your mouth, Master Holger!
And they sounds like a bird in the early dawn of a springtime morning . . .
But you have forgot to place your vote,didn´t you?!

Last edited by Turambar (Mon, Feb15 2016 10:36pm)

#20 Tue, Feb16 2016 3:10pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Thanks for your answer Master Archer
My fantasy capacity is not that great anymore, so that information is what I needed smile

#21 Wed, Feb17 2016 4:44pm

hsf62
Master Caster

No Master Turambar I didn't vote. Maybe I'm getting to old and need stronger glasses, because I had a look around to vote but couldn't find the poll...roll

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

Board footer