Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Sep20 2017 12:08pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Gildor and the Elves

My latest little scene based upon the hobbits meeting Gildor and the elves. This has been a long-simmering project and was a good excuse to use some elf miniatures who had been hiding for too long in some dark corners of Rivendell. This is my interpretation so where artistic licence has been used this has been my choice. The scene has yet to be placed in a protective display box, but that will be another project.

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

I will try and reactivate my Gallery page but the last couple of times I tried it wouldn't recognise some of the log in questions (unless I have forgotten where I was born lol )

#2 Wed, Sep20 2017 12:30pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Re: Gildor and the Elves

Great scene and original using of many figures ; I also see some nice conversions. Beautiful painting and very nice scenery. I love it! Well  done!

#3 Wed, Sep20 2017 3:03pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Beautiful !!!

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#4 Wed, Sep20 2017 4:18pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Pretty awesome master ddaines! I bet our Master Ent loves the trees!
I love the lot!big_smile

Last edited by hsf62 (Wed, Sep20 2017 4:18pm)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#5 Wed, Sep20 2017 4:43pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Thank you, our Ent could hide himself in there somewhere I'm sure lol

#6 Wed, Sep20 2017 8:34pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Well something went wrong big_smile - I was able to load these images into the Mithril Gallery wink - previous attempts had failed roll

#7 Wed, Sep20 2017 9:01pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huuooomrhuom ... excellent, Master Ddaines ... that diorama is impressive and (again) well-arranged.
Extraordinary choice of the figures provided together with excellent paint-jobs. - I really do like it very much.
I also like the masses of trees and the mud on the path very much (you also had to cope with mud in the streets of Bree once, if I do remember well).
Indeed, there's a lot of important work still to be done for building a "protective display box" as you put it (which can turn out to be a hard job considering the size).
Thank you very much for providing the pics here. Cheers.

#8 Thu, Sep21 2017 7:36am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I love your work David. Miniature set is so complementary.
Your painting is getting better every time you show us a new artwork. You may be able to challenge Master Elroi one day! lol
Diorama, well natural and sourrounded by trees, what else could an elf wish ?

I wonder if maybe 1 or 2 horses could be with them. roll

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#9 Thu, Sep21 2017 7:12pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Milo wrote:

I love your work David. Miniature set is so complementary.
Your painting is getting better every time you show us a new artwork. You may be able to challenge Master Elroi one day! lol
Diorama, well natural and sourrounded by trees, what else could an elf wish ?

I wonder if maybe 1 or 2 horses could be with them. roll

Challenge Master Elroi lol, no he is the Master of the Brush and my eyes are getting tired as the years pass so I have to rely on visual effect rather than raw 'skill' to achieve my results, but thank you very much for the kind words.

As to horses, well I didn't even consider them to be honest as they are not mentioned in The Book, and I am sure if they were then the tired hobbits would have been put atop of them. That said, maybe a 'pack-pony' would've added some 'interest', but I do try to stick to the book where possible.

Thank you Master Tree and others who have commented, for your kind words, I have included in the Mithril Gallery section some work in progress images that show how the idea evolved from using plastic trees to the 'real thing' and Sea-foam (if you haven't tried this it is very useful for trees/bushes).

Anyhow, Illuvatar willing I hope to 'pull my finger out' and add to the dioramas with some key scenes from the Long Expected Party to The Grey Havens (and Samwise returning home wink ).

#10 Fri, Sep22 2017 1:22pm

Maenas
Traveller

Great work on these David! I love how it has a nice "by the night" ambient/aura... with somewhat cold and desaturated colours on it.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#11 Fri, Sep22 2017 2:56pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

absolutly wonderful diorama, I'm glad to be part of it smile somehow wink the flora is excellent too !

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

Board footer