You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, May24 2020 2:20pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

M194 : Female Bandit

Another Mithril figure still finished.
I like this figure a lot but "she" was not easy to paint ... I think that my eyes are not so good as they have been ... cool

And I have a question about all those "bandits" :
I can't find references for their story .. does anyone give me some informations about them ?
Thanks !

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

"no fear to fight, no fear to loose, just want to have fun!" (anonymous)
feel free to visit my blog Sam's Minis World

#2 Mon, May25 2020 12:49pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Re: M194 : Female Bandit

She's figure M194 Female bandit of Tir Limlight, from the range 'Fangorn Forest'.

I think the story is from MERP. She's supposed to be the girlfriend of M192 Hundin, the bandit chief. All I remember about him is he is carrying a special formed weapon, don't know what it is. Now did I read somewhere Chris Tubb used his own face for Hundin? I must take a look at the catalogue pages for more info.

BTW very nice painted mini, she fits perfect next to the trees. Your eyes must not be so bad smile

#3 Mon, May25 2020 2:54pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Great work!

And yes, Gerold is quite correct on all points.

#4 Mon, May25 2020 4:04pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Gerold wrote:

She's figure M194 Female bandit of Tir Limlight, from the range 'Fangorn Forest'.

I think the story is from MERP. She's supposed to be the girlfriend of M192 Hundin, the bandit chief. All I remember about him is he is carrying a special formed weapon, don't know what it is. Now did I read somewhere Chris Tubb used his own face for Hundin? I must take a look at the catalogue pages for more info.

BTW very nice painted mini, she fits perfect next to the trees. Your eyes must not be so bad smile

Gavin wrote:

Great work!

And yes, Gerold is quite correct on all points.

Thanks Gerold and Gavin !

but she's not referred as a MERP figure in the database : M194
Hundin has a strange weapon , that's right ( M192 ) and is a MERP figure.
What I've found about the seven bandits of Tir Limlight is not clear enough... for me !
(I must say that my knowledge about the Middle-Earth History is not sufficient for many Mithril Figures ! But I'm sure that the next production of the serie on Amazon will be very useful to learn something right ... if Mister P.J. don't work for them ! tongue)

#5 Wed, May27 2020 12:17pm

Gerold
Adventurer

I can add this picture of the official Mithril miniatures Guide.

Click to close

Hope you can read it.

#6 Wed, May27 2020 12:37pm

Gerold
Adventurer

It looks a bit small to read it. This is the text:

M192 Hundin, The Bandit chief : Hundin started his career as a Gondorian soldier in the fortress of Tir Limlight, then reversed his role by deserting and becoming one of the bandits that he was previously employed to hunt down. He is wide of girth with brown hair and wears an odd assortment of clothing and armour but carries an ugly but effective club of his own design and a fierce serrated Orcish scimitar. His leather pouch carries a Swan motif and has been looted from an official courrier of the Master of Laketown.

M193 Bandits of Tir Limlight : One of the figures (right), like Hundin, is a deserter from the army of Gondor. He still wears the somewhat battered leather armour of a Minas Tirith infantryman. Apart from this, he is clothed in a generally ragged and non-descript fashion. He is armed with  both sword and bow. His compagnon (left) is bow-armed. Although, obviously a Northman, he wears a Sagathic leather cap and boots, obviously the results of a former succesful ambush.

M194 Female Bandit : This woman, who is Hundins "Lady", wears what was once a stylish dress from the courts of Minas Tirith, now ragged and with riding boots beneath. Over this she wears a rougher overgarment. At her side she carries a Sagathic dagger and a Sagathic style quiver holds her arrows at her right side  though, like her fellow bandits, she carries the longbow of the Northmen.

I do like the way Chris Tubb has mixed Gondorian, Sagathic and even Laketown elements into the look of these figures and how this way he created a background for them.
They inspired me to create my own 'Short Rohan story', you can still see it in the Art Gallery.

#7 Wed, May27 2020 1:03pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Gerold wrote:

It looks a bit small to read it. This is the text:

M192 Hundin, The Bandit chief : Hundin started his career as a Gondorian soldier in the fortress of Tir Limlight, then reversed his role by deserting and becoming one of the bandits that he was previously employed to hunt down. He is wide of girth with brown hair and wears an odd assortment of clothing and armour but carries an ugly but effective club of his own design and a fierce serrated Orcish scimitar. His leather pouch carries a Swan motif and has been looted from an official courrier of the Master of Laketown.

M193 Bandits of Tir Limlight : One of the figures (right), like Hundin, is a deserter from the army of Gondor. He still wears the somewhat battered leather armour of a Minas Tirith infantryman. Apart from this, he is clothed in a generally ragged and non-descript fashion. He is armed with  both sword and bow. His compagnon (left) is bow-armed. Although, obviously a Northman, he wears a Sagathic leather cap and boots, obviously the results of a former succesful ambush.

M194 Female Bandit : This woman, who is Hundins "Lady", wears what was once a stylish dress from the courts of Minas Tirith, now ragged and with riding boots beneath. Over this she wears a rougher overgarment. At her side she carries a Sagathic dagger and a Sagathic style quiver holds her arrows at her right side  though, like her fellow bandits, she carries the longbow of the Northmen.

I do like the way Chris Tubb has mixed Gondorian, Sagathic and even Laketown elements into the look of these figures and how this way he created a background for them.
They inspired me to create my own 'Short Rohan story', you can still see it in the Art Gallery.

Many thanks Master Gerold !
but .... as I'm not  really sure (!)  can you confirm that it's just a MERP creation ?
I mean doesn't exist in the original Tolkien's universe ? ( idem for Tir Limlight ? )
That's the last point I didn't find an explanation (except the fact that they are not mentioned in any Tolkien's page ... )

#8 Fri, May29 2020 9:29am

Gerold
Adventurer

Yes, Hundin is explicitely mentioned as an ICE originated character. The two other bandits and the female bandit did not get this remarque, so maybe Chris invented them on his own, but still linked to Hundin.

The river Limlight is mentioned on the map that came with the books (at least in my sample), so we may assume it's an original Tolkien name and river, but I didn't find the name of 'Tir Limlight' or a 'fort' at the river Limlight anywhere, not on the map and not in Tolkien's texts. So this can also be an ICE creation.

#9 Fri, May29 2020 12:55pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Gerold wrote:

Yes, Hundin is explicitely mentioned as an ICE originated character. The two other bandits and the female bandit did not get this remarque, so maybe Chris invented them on his own, but still linked to Hundin.

The river Limlight is mentioned on the map that came with the books (at least in my sample), so we may assume it's an original Tolkien name and river, but I didn't find the name of 'Tir Limlight' or a 'fort' at the river Limlight anywhere, not on the map and not in Tolkien's texts. So this can also be an ICE creation.

That's exactly what I think, I've found nothing about Tir Limlight except the name of the river which is in the North of Fangorn.

Last Question (!? lol)
Is it possible to find the Mithril Miniatures Guide, in pdf for example ?

smile

#10 Fri, May29 2020 2:35pm

Fabrice JACOB
Adventurer

Dear Sam,
Are you talking about the Handbook ?
I have a copy for you if you wish.
Click to close
But in paper version only.

#11 Fri, May29 2020 2:44pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Fabrice JACOB wrote:

Dear Sam,
Are you talking about the Handbook ?
I have a copy for you if you wish.
Click to close
But in paper version only.

Bonjour Fabrice,
maybe this one yes but I was talking about the I can add this picture of the official "Mithril miniatures Guide" used by Master Gerold  for the description of the Bandits.
Maybe they are the same ?
No matter if it's a copy, I'm interested, yes !
(sometimes it's difficult to find exactly who is represented with the figures ... well.. for me !)

#12 Tue, Jun2 2020 3:59pm

Maenas
Traveller

I like how she looks a bit of a gipsy with the colours you gave her.

I also did remember that these group of minis were from ICE MERP creation, but can remember more than what has already been said by Master Gerold.

As for the background of the minis, I used to check the handbook "one" which Fabrice gently pointed you to, but also the other handbook (I remember a red one with smaug on the cover) and the old Tengwar newsletters.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#13 Tue, Jun2 2020 5:50pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Maenas wrote:

I like how she looks a bit of a gipsy with the colours you gave her.

I also did remember that these group of minis were from ICE MERP creation, but can remember more than what has already been said by Master Gerold.

As for the background of the minis, I used to check the handbook "one" which Fabrice gently pointed you to, but also the other handbook (I remember a red one with smaug on the cover) and the old Tengwar newsletters.

Thanks Master Maenas !
you're right about her gipsy look ! I've not thought about that... wink

For the origin, I think that the subject is almost closed, not sure that someone could give more information about her (and I have a lot ! ).
For the Handbook and other Tengwar,  sure that it must be useful.
I've bought a big lot of figures and the seller said that he will add a "Mithril Miniatures Magazine", I don't what it is lol!

#14 Wed, Jun3 2020 1:13pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Maybe he meant a 'Mithril Maniac Magazine' ?

The 'Handbook One' is indeed the 'Collector's Guide' I use. It's the same.

But it's not complete. It goes from M83 to M194, with a gap for the numbers M136-M184. During the next years Mithril also released some new pages, starting with the Minas Tirith range (M195-M204), ending with the Orcs of the Red Eye (M309-M315). Collectors could add these pages to the Guide.

Mithril no longer made new add-on pages, and did not make any for the missing ranges, so I have made my own. You can see some of them in the Art Gallery (map Missing Catalogue pages). And some more info from other members here.

#15 Wed, Jun3 2020 6:47pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Gerold wrote:

Maybe he meant a 'Mithril Maniac Magazine' ?

The 'Handbook One' is indeed the 'Collector's Guide' I use. It's the same.

But it's not complete. It goes from M83 to M194, with a gap for the numbers M136-M184. During the next years Mithril also released some new pages, starting with the Minas Tirith range (M195-M204), ending with the Orcs of the Red Eye (M309-M315). Collectors could add these pages to the Guide.

Mithril no longer made new add-on pages, and did not make any for the missing ranges, so I have made my own. You can see some of them in the Art Gallery (map Missing Catalogue pages). And some more info from other members here.

I've found and  comment your post about your "home-made" guide ...
wink

Board footer