You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Jul29 2009 3:50am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

A Question about the Wizards Card Game

Hi Gildor

Here's a question of trivia for you:

Were there any spell events, or spell type cards?

I know characters had combat rules, and wizards could fight in combat...but was there any way of drawing a spell card or magical effect card or anything of the sort?

#2 Wed, Jul29 2009 5:07pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Re: A Question about the Wizards Card Game

there were ressource events called spells yes, only playable by character who had the "sage" class or by wizards...
lots of wizard spells (wizard flame, wizard fire, wizard laughter, true fana...)
these are amont the "brown cards" and are most often short event or long event sometimes...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#3 Thu, Jul30 2009 4:30am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Gildor, do you know of any way to play this game online?

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#4 Thu, Jul30 2009 5:58am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

there used to be a game client that allowed to have a gameboard on computer called "netmeccg"
though the program did "know all the rules" it did not use checks on any of them so there was no rules "applied" it is open to the player to know how to play it.... (because there can be so many rules variants...)
I can't remember if the game cards were provided with the pictures on them because there are copyrights on the pics... but the cards themselves with the text did apply

I don't have much tim to look at it right now but if you check the net for "netMECCG" you may find ressources and more details on that...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Thu, Jul30 2009 5:03pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Thank you Master Gildor

I am sort of planning to use spell names to replace the LOTR "quest" spell names. Those are horribly uninspiring and not terribly Tolkienic (telekinesis anyone?)

I have the bones of a few names sketched out already.

#6 Thu, Jul30 2009 9:10pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

some names are very linked to tolkien works, others are not... but you must admit that in no book at all we hear or see the casting of named spells and their effects... we know there is magic, and wizards, but we never really see them casting anything...  except maybe the water horses at the ford of rivendell

#7 Fri, Jul31 2009 1:31am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Oh I am well aware.

But anything has got to be better than "Telekinesis" smile

#8 Fri, Jul31 2009 9:16am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

the main problem with netmeccg is that, for copyright reasons, all cards are provided without the illustration....
only the text and rules of the cards are displayed... but that's better than nothing.

I just reinstalled it and it indeed allows you to play via internet... providing some prerequisites:
you have to know the PUBLIC ip adress of your opponent (or yours if you are the "server"...) and the correct communication port must be left open by your firewall(s) and router(s) but that should be easy to configure...

You CAN add all the pictures to the cards but that's illegal indeed, unless you own all the cards and that's for personal use (as always....)

#9 Mon, Oct19 2009 9:24pm

Maenas
Traveller

I am not sure if you both are talking about this, but here is a link where you can find information, I have just played two times, but it is nice and the cards, have the pictures and texts in... you need a little time to learn how to use all the shortcuts, but if you remember (not as me) wich where the gamrules you have gain lots of time. Maybe this will be usefull. http://gccg.sourceforge.net/

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#10 Tue, Oct20 2009 4:06pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

mmhh the gccg you link seems to know METW indeed now I can't be sure if it has ALL the cards...
I remember the rules well enough to play a "basic" game so I could test... I will let you know (unlesssomeone else has tested it before me smile  )

Board footer