Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Sat, Aug7 2010 4:40pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Re: The latest Fellowship debate(s).....

as administrator of this forum I'd really like to know what happened here?! master Holger can you explain in private please? (i was away doing some shopping and I definitly missed something)

now as it stands, master Gavin maths are good, but that does not solve the problem... and master Shadyt comment is fair but - no offense intended at all - I find it 200% subjective... actually maybe as subjective as my posts smile and not objective when it comes to define what is GF... what is regular, what should be done...

As someone said... MS was meant to offer people -through suggestions- the possibility to make something like a MX... something very special... "unique" in its own way... You may think a standard bearer is unique... this is your right indeed, but had you the money or if Mithril offered you a MX for free, would you submit a "standard bearer" or "wolfrider" or "trumpeter" or any kind of anonymous military "auxiliary" that has nothing unique?

well, please please I repeat myself I just want to make my point clear but don't want to offense nor attack anybody but proposing any kind of "military functionnality" is for me strictly the same as suggesting , for exemple : "adventurer man looking to his left" ... this is How I "feel" it. I don't mean it IS it, it's just how I feel it... worthless EXCEPT , in the end, for the superb crafting for its rendering which makes it worth at the time of its release, but not at the time of its voting or.. victory...

I hope you won't take it to you shadyt, I just wanted to express what I feel... and I am not english-native speaker so I may have erred in some style...

Now that it seems the thematic idea is a bad one and freedom and democracy for all is the only solution, I will carry on NOT submitting (until vignette months are up) BUT voting for ideas I like.... this I do...
still the regular M releases problem is still up... but does not concern Fellowship directly I think...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#27 Sat, Aug7 2010 6:09pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

*buys Master Holger a drink*

To sort of respond to Master Gildor's point about some of the suggestions.

Why do we have standard bearers and trumpeters?

- Because Mithril doesn't always make them. The sort of Mithril-standard wargaming army has a captain, a musician and a standard bearer. QV, the Lossarnach, White City and Mordor "warbands" So the other armies should have such things too.

and, crucially

- The other guys make such things, but way too many of the examples suck. Ie, sculpted by he who Master Barliaman detests. I mean, which would you prefer? A Mirkwood elf hunter made by the man, with beautiful flowing clothes, naturalistic features and a sense of proportion, or the weird transvestite elf thing with the oversized horn released by the other guys?

Like it or not, many people buy Mithrils to supplement or even replace forces from the Other Guys. Combine that desire with Mithril's odd release schedule and people will go for "cool" over "unique." I've bought two of the wonderful Troll drummer, and next year I'll buy the half-troll standard bearer and finish up my Angmar orc army. I've just plenty to be getting on with first smile People are clearly voting on MS figures to fill the gaps in the range rather than aiming for something unique. The obvious solution would be to address the gaps in the range, rather than leave them for the fellowship voting. But I doubt that's going to happen.

And I still want my Elladan and Elrohir at the Black Gate, damnit smile

#28 Sat, Aug7 2010 6:14pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I hardly need  to point out, Master Elf, that if you and other non-MERP, non-wargaming members don't make suggestions each month then the Fellowship polls will soon become overwhelmed with nonentities and repeats ('Witchking blowing his nose', for instance). And that would never do. Make your suggestions and let free wiil take its course.

And for those of you not following the plot, the 'other guys' to whom Master Gavin refers are GW, andf the guy whose work I detest is Gary Morley late (but not late enough) of said GW. Ptui!

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#29 Sat, Aug7 2010 6:16pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

agreed master Gavin but you admit yourself that these "bearers" and trumpeters are part of a whole and though GF is meant to let people suggest / vote / win what they want/need to complete -in your example- an army... Now I stand sure that GF was not meant to "complete" RANGES .... indeed it can, since it is suggested and voted but we are slowly transforming GF into a "hole-filling" process for existing ranges...

that's... weird, odd... and most of all .... dangerous

I may have said standard bearers feel "worthless" to me, as a MS... I don't think bearers are useless in a given army... providing they are included in the range... or maybe converted? whatever.. those figurines, like wolfriders should be parts of "wholes"... not individuals...

see what I mean?

to Barliman : I tried myself at suggesting ideas lately... single ....  usually it only gets my own vote in the first turn smile or two or three  not more smile  even if I repeat my suggestions months after monhts.... that says it all... Actually I was also among the first ones to suggest Erestor but he has been suggested by someone else this month..

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#30 Sat, Aug7 2010 6:22pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I like this debate ! it is full of lots interesting informations... ideas and suggestions... for all kind of mithril collectors... for gamers, diorama builders and simply collectors ( like I'm ) ... but I found here some bad news...

Master Holger my dear respected forever real creative friend..... ! It is logical to delete your conversion topic after all "something like problems" from last month and I totally support your decision, but it is a pity that you are deleted "Who is who topic"... I've accepted this topic like something close and familiar to all of us members of MMP... sad

Last edited by Thingol (Sat, Aug7 2010 11:11pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#31 Sat, Aug7 2010 6:34pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

First rule of any competition, Master Gildor, is that in order to win, first you have to enter. Obviously no one can win every time (though Master Dave has come very close...), but your suggestions will never win if you don't make them. Look how long it took for my Eorl figure to win - I think he still holds the record for number of failed attempts to reach the finishing post!

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#32 Sat, Aug7 2010 6:44pm

protozeus
Adventurer

Thingol wrote:

...  but it is a pity that you are deleted "Who is who topic"... I've accepted this topic like something close and familiar to all of us members of MMP... sad

I completely agree -- those deletions are leaving lot's of ruins and emptiness here, a very rude reaction in my opinion ...

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#33 Sat, Aug7 2010 8:10pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

mmhh maybe I should add a functionnality to forbid people to delete things or at least have a track somewhere in case they change their mind and want it back... alas I dont have that at the moment so ... what is lost... is lost...

about winning competition barliman... well assuming I won very early in the process with my Sauron, Elendil&Gil-Galad vignette and with Cirdan, I have won two times already... nothing since but...it was back in a time when such suggestions were in the "mood" it is, no more smile

to Holger : do you really think you had the right to erase a full topic which was a "trombinoscope" of ALL people from this forum? erasing your posts is one thing, but a topic never belongs to anyone, it belongs to all who post in this thread...
Alas, I just spent two hours looking for any backup I may have of the MMP forum database which retrace the who's who...
there is none... the last true backup I made was back in 2008 when the site migrated to faerylands.eu and the topic was not yet created...

I now made a new backup just in case... but I am affirmative... every topics you had begun and have now deleted Holger, are deleted once and for all, and all the replies from all other members after your initial topic have been wiped out with it....
... a pity... really

#34 Sun, Jan30 2011 9:55pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Oh dear, another Orc - calling itself "Patience Wafford this time" - at least that's original. Gildor, I think we're being invaded...they're sneaking in under the guise of "Guests".

I've deleted this latest intrusion, but they're coming in under the floorboards, I think...

#35 Sun, Jan30 2011 10:31pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

no more intrusions.... guests can no more post replies, it requires registration for EVERY topic

#36 Fri, Feb4 2011 7:11am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Good step Gildor!

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#37 Fri, Feb25 2011 2:29pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

It seems I will not make it with "Bilbo in mithril coat, with arkenstone" suggestion.
I thought it would find more supporters.hmm

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#38 Fri, Feb25 2011 2:45pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

You could repeat suggestion in some other combinations. Maybe soon we would have possibility to suggest some scene ( through vignette option ) and there put Bilbo in mithril coat, with arkenstone........... together with some furniture in his house, as he looked on his mithril coat just few moments before he decided to hide treasure... something like vignette MV362... but without Gandalf wink

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#39 Fri, Feb25 2011 4:45pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I doubt Bilbo had the Arkenstone once back at home.lol

Still, I feel it can be a nice vignette (or diorama)with Gandalf standing beside and in front of Thranduil & Bard both in armour, ready for battle agains dwarves !

#40 Fri, Feb25 2011 4:52pm

shadyt
Traveller

Well he was a burgaler,and he could become invisible... It might be possible:Dbig_smile

#41 Fri, Feb25 2011 4:58pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Someone shall visit the lonely mountain to check on Thorin's tomb then.cool
Who's the volunteer ?

#42 Fri, Feb25 2011 5:50pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

mmh Bilbo never stole the arkenstone for himself and he is not interested in it personnaly smile

besides, I doubt Bilbo is strong enough to open Thorin Sarcophagus and retrieve the Arkenstone from within, along with Orcrist...

It is buried for good...

#43 Sun, Aug7 2011 7:51pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Speaking of Fellowship miniatures, can we have next "Legolas with fighting device"? It would go along nicely with "Sam with cooking apparatus".

Sorry, I've tried but I couldn't restrain myself. But seriously, wouldn't have been better "Sam cooking" or "Herbs and stewed rabbit" as the chapter tittle of our favourite books?

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#44 Mon, Aug8 2011 12:55pm

hsf62
Master Caster

I would like a Nazgul with flying devise.....lollollol

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#45 Mon, Aug8 2011 1:26pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

How about a Frodo with a disappearing device?

This could go on for a while....

#46 Mon, Aug8 2011 1:42pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Arthadan wrote:

Speaking of Fellowship miniatures, can we have next "Legolas with fighting device"? It would go along nicely with "Sam with cooking apparatus".

Sorry, I've tried but I couldn't restrain myself. But seriously, wouldn't have been better "Sam cooking" or "Herbs and stewed rabbit" as the chapter tittle of our favourite books?

You're damned right Master Arthadan, maybe it's not too late for Wendy to propose this "Herbs and stewed rabbit" title change.

#47 Tue, Aug9 2011 5:00am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Is "apperatus" a word Michael added; I thought Wendy meant something like "cooking gear." or some such.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#48 Tue, Aug9 2011 1:15pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

I think I titled my suggestion "Sam, camp cook".  I don't know where apparatus comes from.  With apparatus in the name, it sounds either translated from a different language or like it's a non licensed knock off like "elf in mail" or "dwarf smithing silver like material".

Sam, camp cook, A brace of coneys, Sam with a brace of coneys, Of herbs and stewed rabbit, anything else would be good...

#49 Tue, Aug9 2011 1:37pm

cameosis
Master of Languages

two words: "chef sam"

Esse quam videri. (Marcus Tullius Cicero)

#50 Wed, Aug10 2011 10:18am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Didn't he always refer to it as his 'cooking gear'?or would cooking utensils sound better? big_smile

Board footer