Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, May21 2008 3:20pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Painting tutorials, tips, tricks...

I figured I'd share some of the stuff I've found helpful when it comes to painting.  I only paint with acrylics, so some of these may not be too useful to oils painters, but bear with me.  smile

I plan to post links to tutorials and SBS's (step by steps) as well.  Some of them are geared more for larger scales, but the basic idea and color mixes still work.

Feel free to post anything you've found helpful as well.

First, some tips and tricks:

Red hardly ever covers well.  Adding a touch of burnt umber helps a lot.  Adding burnt umber to white helps too.  Never start with pure white.  Save it for only the highest of highlights.  (One of the links I'll post will have a tutorial for painting white.)

Adding white to red for a highlight makes the color too pink (unless you want pink).  Adding flesh instead of white isn't so pink.  Another way to shade red is to have the red be the highest of highlights and start darker.

Be sure to dilute the paint enough. Give or take, the paint should roughly be the texture of whole milk.  Lots and lots of thin layers is better than one thick layer.  (As a note, I use Vallejo and some artist acrylics, so I have those specifically in mind when I say that.)  If the paint is properly diluted, you will need to touch the brush to a paper towel or piece of cotton cloth to remove excess paint or it will flow all over the place.  Just a quick touch will do and give much more control over where the paint goes.

According to color theory, to make a shadow color, add the complementary color (red-green, blue-orange, violet-yellow).  This also works to tone down a color a bit and make it look more natural.  (Just a note though, to make a shadow for, say, violet, black or another dark shade is needed to go with the yellow.)  More on color theory to come.

Trying experimenting with colors and shades.

Keep a log of favorite color mixes or if you're working on a fig record the mixes so when you come back to it, you don't have to guess or start all over again.

If you're painting something black don't start with black as a base color (unless, of course you prime black, then you're working up from black on every color).  Make it a dark, dark gray.

If you want to know what the color bias is, add white to it.  (For the brown and gray shades, mostly.  The purpose is finding shades that work well together.)

There is a TON of information out there on the internet, but nothing quite replaces face to face interaction.  If there is any kind of painting club in your area and/or painting competition (they usually go hand in hand), find it.  You can pick up a lot of things up from other people, especially when the work is in the flesh.  Plus, it's fun to see other people's work.  Even if it's a historical type club, they are on the whole, nice guys and happy to share.

#2 Wed, May21 2008 3:44pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Re: Painting tutorials, tips, tricks...

Here's a tutorial for metallics that I've found very useful.  It's pretty advanced, but anyone can give it a try.  Now, there isn't much full on armor in the Mithril range, but the idea is still useful for scale and mail also.  I had read that you should never mix water with metallics.  Well, now I do after reading this tutorial.  (I use mostly artist acrylics for my metallics too, which are thicker.  I don't like Vallejo - when I drybrush with Vallejo metallics, the sparkles go everywhere and don't come off.  It's a pain in the butt if you've painted anything before that or are just doing touch ups.  I do really like the Vallejo Metal Medium though.  It's great for toning down sparkliness of other metallic paints and use on highlights and things like that.  Of course you can use it to make other colors metallic too.)

http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainter … .php?t=878

To give proper credit, I found this link posted by PrawnPower at The Basement (http://www.tbforum.co.uk/index.php), a Brit forum with a nice mix of minis and larger scales.

#3 Wed, May21 2008 3:59pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Another tutorial section that I've found helpful is over at the El Greco site.  My friend Stephen Mallia put them together.  (I met him at a show, but first "met" him over at PlanetFigure.com.)  Not everything applies to Mithril's, but there's some useful stuff that does.  I really like his white mixes that can be found under his "Painting Tutorial".

The link is:

http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/

Click on TUTORIALS on the left hand side.  Because of the design of page, I can't link directly to the tutorials.

#4 Tue, Jun3 2008 1:29pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Here's the technique for basic drybrushing for metals (mail, swords, etc.):

Paint area black (be sure to dilute the paint enough, otherwise it might cover some detail like mail).  Multiple light coats are better than one heavy coat.  The brush to use is a very dry brush (not a good one - this technique ruins brushes - so use an old worn out one, the more worn out, the better).  Dip the brush a bit in the paint (not too much paint - you'll see why).  Now, wipe most of the paint off on a paper towel, a piece of cotton fabric (it's the ideal for the serious painter - no fuzz or anything comes off it), or the like.  Now that most of the paint has been wiped off the brush, lightly run the brush over the parts you want metallic.  Again, it's way easier to add more paint than remove it, so go light.  It may take a little practice, but it's one of the easier technique that gives really dramatic results.  The effect is to have the black show through the mail which acts as a shadow and the metallics are the highlight rather than painting it all straight metallic and relying on the figure itself for shadows.  It's the same idea with helms and swords - any recesses are darker than higher points giving much more depth.  If you want to go fancier, try out some of the stuff from the metallics tutorial I posted above or you can mix and match and experiment with all the methods, like putting a few washes on something you've dry brushed or add some highlights with a lighter metallic color.  It's all up to you.

I mentioned earlier what I use for my metallics and why, but it's really a matter of taste.  Just figure out what works for you.  smile

#5 Tue, Jun3 2008 4:17pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

My tip for skins for Mithril:

I start with a basecoat mix of
Game Colour Pale Flesh
Model Colour Light Flesh (av928)
and
Model Colour Cork Brown (av 843). Add a tad more cork to the mix to get a darker fleshy colour. Now dilute it so the paint it runny.

Carefully paint the flesh mix onto the figure's skin. You want it good and dilute so you don't lose any of the soft Mithril facial features.

Wash the skin with Cork Brown (AV 843).

Now highlight the face with a 1:1:1 mix of the flesh tones above.
Highlight that with a little Ivory. Add extra ivory as desired. (I used GW "Bleached Bone" on occassion too).

Also: get a good brush (which is what I am doing tommorrow!)

Gavin

#6 Tue, Jun3 2008 7:16pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

That's an excellent series of tips there Wendy and Gavin - I love the end result of the painted figure! When I get some time I will look further into the links you posted wink.

Dave.

#7 Thu, Jun5 2008 1:09pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

sadhmm Sigh hmmsad  Every once in a while Vallejo bottles will clog, especially as it gets older.  Don't just squeeze it harder as the whole top can (and probably will madroll) pop off, spewing a whole lot of paint.  To avert disaster, keep a paper clip close by when painting and use it to poke a hole through the clog.  Yes, it is the voice of experience talking.

#8 Thu, Jun5 2008 1:23pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Yes.

This is wisdom.

#9 Thu, Jun5 2008 7:21pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Wendy wrote:

sadhmm Sigh hmmsad  Every once in a while Vallejo bottles will clog, especially as it gets older.  Don't just squeeze it harder as the whole top can (and probably will madroll) pop off, spewing a whole lot of paint.  To avert disaster, keep a paper clip close by when painting and use it to poke a hold through the clog.  Yes, it is the voice of experience talking.

Been there!!!! hmm

#10 Mon, Jun9 2008 12:22pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Here's a link to a Vallejo color combination chart that show suggestions for base, shadow, and highlight.  In the tutorial on Vallejo's site, they list them, but here they are pictured with the corresponding number.  Seeing the combinations is nice because it's useful even if you don't have the particular color.

http://www.timelinesforum.com/forums/sh … php?t=6497

#11 Mon, Jul28 2008 3:41am

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Here's something.  This is a color guide for non-metallic metals (NMM).  NMM is painting a metal object like swords and armor without using metallic paints.  I've been wanting to try this, but haven't gotten up the guts to yet.

http://homepage.mac.com/thminiatures/Si … rsnmm.html

#12 Wed, Nov24 2010 2:22am

durga
Traveller
Website

Of course you can! That would be great! Thanx!!

#13 Wed, Nov24 2010 9:00am

hsf62
Master Caster

Very interesting link Master durga. Thank you for this, even if it has not much to do with miniature painting! cool

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#14 Thu, Dec2 2010 12:08pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Hows to paint marble:

http://hot-lead.org/advance/texturing_marble.htm

Wouldn't be nice a white marble floor for the White Council? roll

And a bunch of tutorials for the Spanish-speaking people: http://spanish-team.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorial

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#15 Thu, Dec2 2010 12:29pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Very interresting. Thanks a lot for this link Master Arthadan.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#16 Thu, Dec2 2010 1:04pm

hsf62
Master Caster

That is a great link! Good one Master Arthadan.big_smile

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#17 Thu, Dec2 2010 1:20pm

Arthadan
Traveller

You're welcome!

Middle-earth forsaking!

#18 Thu, Dec2 2010 6:53pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Arthadan wrote:

The thought did cross my mind.  smile

Thanks for the links!

#19 Thu, Dec2 2010 11:19pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

My also . . . roll
Fantastic links, Master Arthadan. As always!

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#20 Fri, Dec3 2010 8:53am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Same thought shared by every painter means th miniature suggests it !
My thought is to have marble floor and wood marquetry table.

Last edited by Milo (Fri, Dec3 2010 8:54am)

#21 Fri, Dec3 2010 10:10am

hsf62
Master Caster

I'm not a good painter compared with you girls and guys, but I could built a table with marquetry.... lol

#22 Fri, Dec3 2010 10:57am

Milo
The Attic Warden

That is a nice challenge. Go for it Master Caster !

#23 Fri, Dec3 2010 1:34pm

imisel
Collector

Arthadan wrote:

Hows to paint marble:

http://hot-lead.org/advance/texturing_marble.htm

And a bunch of tutorials for the Spanish-speaking people: http://spanish-team.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorial

Thanks a lot, Master Artahadan... The Spanish tutorials are great, I didn't know them

Ilsa:A franc for your thoughts.
Rick: In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth.

CASABLANCA (1942)

#24 Fri, Dec3 2010 3:30pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

There are some veeeeeerrrrrrry talented painters in Spain.  big_smile

#25 Fri, Dec3 2010 3:56pm

Arthadan
Traveller

That's from a forum where some professional painters and sculptors post, hence the level. By the way, Master Imisel, if you're interested in taking a look, the forum name is 'Spanish Team'.

Last edited by Arthadan (Fri, Dec3 2010 4:03pm)

Middle-earth forsaking!

Board footer