You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Wed, Dec29 2010 10:56pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Re: My little Mithril fellows

Sorry for the big pics, Master Gildor!
I saw in others post the images as thumbnails, but i didn´t found that "upload image" functionnality in the options of the message (I´m not a very talented informatic smile )

Just tell me where is that option, and I will edit the images to a smaller size,

Masters Shadyt and Thingol, thank you very much for your words!

And venerable Theobald, very soon you will see my Fimbrethil vision (and after, I´ll need to seek for more Ents to add at my collection)

#27 Wed, Dec29 2010 11:19pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Master elroi, I am happy too about your joining here. And I like your paintings very much indeed.
Well, the "upload image" button you see on the top of the side:     Index- User list- Rules- Upload image- Search- Profile- Messages- Logout

Have a try, it works, believe me! big_smile

As others already mentioned, there is a section called : mithril gallery. You find it as a yellow-brown field also on top- nearly . . .
Have a look there and you will find pictures from David, Thingol, Milo and myself.
The main "art-section" is under "the art gallery of master samwise" where you already have posted your pictures. You will find a lot of brilliant stuff there.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#28 Thu, Dec30 2010 12:02am

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Work on the pics done!
Thanks for the clear instructions, Master Turambar

And I have took a look to the gallery... your dioramas are excellent (Moria is awesome!!!) and there is a lot of very good and inspiring stuff.

I like to make dioramas also... in a near future I probably will make some mithril scenes also, not only miniatures.

#29 Thu, Dec30 2010 11:32am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Please master Elroi, a talented artist like yourself! feel free to send me pics of dioramas in my email that you would like me to display in the "Mithril Gallery" section (not on the forum but the gallery module itself I mean) I think these could be great additions!
as for pics of single figurines (outside dioramas) I am also interested if you want to provide some for the Database itself! (for the bottom left collector pictures)

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#30 Fri, Dec31 2010 10:38am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Wow !!!!
These orcs look fantastic. One hase even a nice tongue...
Looking at your pictures, I wonder if you use metalic paint, it seems not and the result is even better !
Maybe you could provide some tips in the painting section here:
http://mmp.faerylands.eu/viewtopic.php?id=98

Last edited by Milo (Fri, Dec31 2010 10:40am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#31 Fri, Dec31 2010 3:31pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Master Milo, I used metallic paints (Citadel ones), but I use also a lot of washes and thin layers of non metallic ones.

I have prepared I little tutorial with some basic steps, I wil post now there.

Master Gildor, by now, my only dioramas are GW LOTR, not mithril. If you want pictures of them, just tell me. And for the single miniatures, as soon as I paint a decent number of them (10 or so) , I will submit you.

#32 Fri, Dec31 2010 4:03pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well GW dioramas would not fit a "mithril gallery" would they wink  so I don't think it wise to use them... About single ones though I am indeed interested feel free to send them when you want

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#33 Fri, Dec31 2010 4:07pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

well GW dioramas would not fit a "mithril gallery" would they wink  so I don't think it wise to use them...

Hehehe, I supposed. I´ll send you soon the pics-

And now, some "new" things (I´ve been very productive in this holidays, wow)

Frodo at the chamber of Mazarbul

Click to close

And Aragorn and Akargun, now with some painting details added, and a new base

Click to close

Click to close

#34 Mon, Jan3 2011 12:07am

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

A “little” addition for my gallery, Dwarven infantry, one new and one with details added:

Click to close

Click to close

#35 Mon, Jan3 2011 9:34am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I am speechless...big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

#36 Mon, Jan3 2011 9:39am

Arthadan
Traveller

Very nice! Love the dragon in the shield, is it NMM?

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#37 Mon, Jan3 2011 10:40am

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Thaks, Masters milo and Arthadan

It´s not an NMM effect (at least, that was not my intention). It´s more an aesthetic (this is, simulating something with no a real reason) effect of lightning, to give a more dramatic pose to the Dwarf. I simply added some no metalic colour (bleached bone) to the last highligt on the border of the shield (wich is painted in metals)

I have done something similar on the chainmail of the other dwarf, and on the edges of the weapons and armour plates (Frodo´s blade is another example)

#38 Mon, Jan3 2011 10:56am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Yes, I will follow Arthadan and milo. A nice colour choice as well and also nice gradients.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#39 Mon, Jan3 2011 1:00pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.... so what could I say after all those compliments... again... again and again... great... after all those pictures I will repaint some of my early figures... again... and again smile

I'm usually satisfied with my work... but I will improve some details on some old painted mithril guys... and girls...

Last edited by Thingol (Mon, Jan3 2011 1:01pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#40 Tue, Jan4 2011 3:33pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Thingol wrote:

I will repaint some of my early figures... again... and again smile

I'm usually satisfied with my work... but I will improve some details on some old painted mithril guys... and girls...

That´s a neverending but satisfactory work, improving all the time. I think some of my miniatures have been repainted at least 3-4 times: my early works with Humbrol enamels, my firsts trys with acrilics, and 1-2  post-paintings

Neverending work tongue

#41 Tue, Jan4 2011 5:19pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I still use Humbrol enamels and Model Master colors, and I'm happy with those colors... some of my early painted miniatures are repainted and some of them will be soon. I do not like acrylic and specially not oil paint. Almost same effect you could achieve with mixing mat and satin colors. Could you take a look at my gallery section under Thingol.
I would like to hear or read your ( it is evident ) professional opinion and comment smile
Thanks

#42 Thu, Jan6 2011 9:48pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Hi, Master Thingol

I prefer to use acrylics better than enamels or oils. With all kind of paints is possible to achieve the same effects and results, but there are big differences between them. But there are not better or worse ones, just different.

I use the acrylics mainly because they dry very faster than the others (and this is important for my painting style, because I apply lots and lots of thin layers of paint, for shading and highlighting) and because they use water to dilute (not toxic thinners).

I have seen your gallery, very nice compositions, mixing naturalistic scenarios and miniatures.

Regarding the painting work itself, I´ll be sincere: I think your miniatures are painting in a very basic style (this is, not much shading or highlighting work, dull colours, not much tones… )

But for judging your work in a right way, I need to know some things:

- How much time do you spend painting a single miniature?
- Do you have time enough to spend on painting?
- Which is your aim when you paint a miniature?

If your answers are close to:

- Not much
- Yes
-  try to improve a little from the previous miniature

I assure you that it´s very easy to get very better results in not much time. I think the best way to do that is to open a “step by step” post, painting a single miniature and posting pictures of every step. I will help you in every step, with advices and tips wink

#43 Thu, Jan6 2011 10:39pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Thanks for this answer Master Elroi ! I think you are right in your thoughts and I'm ready to improve my painting style as soon as possible. Especially after I saw here panting works of Master Turambar and in last time - yours.

Also I have around 250 repainted miniatures with much more shading, highlighting works and much more tones, not bright colors etc. and I'm going to repaint others in some short future period.

And my answers are

- one figure - around 6 hours ( not much )
- sometimes when my family goes to sleep and it will be more time this year after I've fulfilled some of my educational and business aims
- my aim is written above smile ( in number of repainted miniatures )

Also I'm happy with you on this forum and I hope that you'll stay... here of course

And thanks for your offer. In some future period I will send you some pictures of my "work in progress" for advice and comments.

I think many of us could do this.

Last edited by Thingol (Thu, Jan6 2011 10:40pm)

#44 Fri, Jan7 2011 10:33am

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

6 hours in a miniature are enough to get good results in a miniature (even if you use enamels, with a slow dry). But I do not recommend to paint at night (unless you have a very good light... light bulbs that simulate the real day light), it´s very better to paint with natural daylight (this may be easier in Spain than in center or north Europe roll)

I´ll try soon to make a step by step post of one of my miniatures, with pictures of all the steps, to show how is my process in painting

Thingol wrote:

Also I'm happy with you on this forum and I hope that you'll stay... here of course

Thanks a lot, I think I´ll be here for a long time wink

PS: 250 are A LOT painted miniatures, congrats for such  great collection

#45 Fri, Jan7 2011 10:46am

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

And another miniature (painted in my last day of holidays..), one of my personal favorites minor races: woses

Here I introduce you: Ghan Buri Ghan:

Click to close

#46 Fri, Jan7 2011 11:37am

Mabden
The Forest Warden

Hello Roi and all Mithril Fellowship.
Great work here, as usual from you. I always keep my little Mithril collection save as gold in wood boxes, some of them in their original pacage. When you told me about this forum reanimated my interest into paint these little gems. Now I'm preparing a couple of them and I hope to show you it soon.

A pleasure to know about people who have your tastes.

#47 Fri, Jan7 2011 12:06pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Welcome Master Mabden !
Elroi, as for you, I fancy woses. I even was one of them 25 years ago when playing MERP ! cool

Your  Ghan Buri Ghan is just natural. Perfect skin.
Again, I wish to know how to obtain such magnificent body.
Which colors are needed ?

Last edited by Milo (Fri, Jan7 2011 12:10pm)

#48 Fri, Jan7 2011 9:22pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.... dear friend... with little child it and with works which I'm doing last years it was impossible to paint during the day light smile Last time when I was paint something on day light it was 7 years ago... and as it seems I will wait few years to do this again smile

This 250 are repainted... and I have whole available collection of mithril figures painted smile more than 600 figures... and all others except those 250 need some improvements....

Thanks for your support !

And finally this Ghan Buri Ghan is remarkable !

Master Mabden welcome on our forum... please go to "Who is who" topic and there you could introduce your self with your photo....

#49 Fri, Jan7 2011 10:56pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Welcome master Mabden, you are no more a LOST traveller smile welcome aboard friend

#50 Sat, Jan8 2011 12:41am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Perfect skinn! ( a song from Master Lloyd Cole and the Commotions if i remember right . . .)
But in this case a really good colour shading. Coulering skinn is very ambitious, so I respect this work.
And I know what I am speaking about . . . wink

Board footer