You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, Dec30 2012 7:40am

sevlag
Collector
Website

Molds for plaster creations

Hello everybody,
This forum is now dedicated, among other things, to share our discoveries of materials, equipment and other ideas to help us realize our projects, let me show you what we achieve with my husband, with resin molds Hirst Arts. these pieces are very detailed and really bein made.
Click to close
In these molds, we cast resin-plaster that provides us some parts to assemble, . The advantage's that now we have the molds, we can reproduce these constructions. Of more, as is an assembly of parts, it's very easy, an fun, to customize these achievements

First one, is The ruins :

Click to close

The second is a tomb, that I will use for the tomb of Aragorn :

Click to close

#2 Sun, Dec30 2012 9:16am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Re: Molds for plaster creations

Magnificent !
Where di you buy this stuff ?

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#3 Sun, Dec30 2012 10:09am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I'm also interested! where do these moulds come from and what resin do you use that would be very interesting!!

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#4 Sun, Dec30 2012 12:21pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

There come from USA, The website :
http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html
It's little expensive, but very pleasant.
For plaster, I take it in Cultura : http://www.cultura.com/loisirs-créatif … 65653.prd. This is great because it is  with resin , so it's stronger and finer. We came to drop some pieces and they don't break.
If you like these models, rather than buy new molds, I can perhaps made them for you (send me a PM). Of course, on the site you will find many more models, which can also be complete themselves. There's even a mold for producing the inside of a tavern wink

#5 Sun, Dec30 2012 1:25pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

those moulds are quite interesting indeed !! a bit expensive as you mention, maybe you could tell us what molds you do have already?

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#6 Sun, Dec30 2012 1:54pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Sometimes it is worth seeing if they have distributors in your own part of the world, I recall that there was a UK distributor, but that was some time ago.

The 'Tomb of Aragorn' structure looks perfect for what you are going to use it for Mistress Sevlag (you should enter it in the painting competition as it doesn't seem to have been judged yet winklol).

#7 Sun, Dec30 2012 2:45pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

David you're right, but before ordering to the U.S. I search for a dealer in France and also on Ebay, but I have not found it. So We ordered 3 molds Gildor : the 2 that I have presented, and a third The prison tower (We thought with the pieces included in these mold it was possible to achieve and / or complete differents scenes )
Click to close
Fortunately, the exchange rate between the dollar and the euro is in our favor wink

#8 Sun, Dec30 2012 7:05pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

My husband has already finished his decor hmm
But it gives an idea of what can be achieved with these molds :
Click to close   Click to close
In my case, I have not yet begun and it will not be finished immediately (I just finished the white board, whose photos are on the gallery wink)
DON'T BE HASTY winktonguelol

#9 Sun, Dec30 2012 8:19pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Very interesting decor and molds... indeed but I have not seen on their site is it possible to buy finished decor or you should all do it by yourself.... ?

Last edited by Thingol (Sun, Dec30 2012 8:20pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#10 Sun, Dec30 2012 10:21pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

that's absolutly wonderful to look upon!
I don't know if I wouldbe able to build it so well myself!
@Thingol : I don't think you can buy finished decor ... only moulds...   well Lego for adults wink

#11 Mon, Dec31 2012 7:47am

sevlag
Collector
Website

Exactly Gentlemen, this is a real lego for adults. I don't find complete version (except one on our French website sales "le bon coin", which is sold 275€ hmm).
It's obligatory to take a little time to get all the parts, but it's not complicated, just be meticulous. You just need to follow the assembly instructions and the advice and everything is fine.
In addition, this is really what I liked about this principle: build it myself. It takes one day, see 1.5 days, no more and what pleasure big_smiletongue
Then, the molds can be re-used for other constructions. For example, in mine, there are flagstones that can be used at any time :
Click to close

#12 Mon, Dec31 2012 8:48am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I will definitely consider of buying one of those decor smile

#13 Mon, Dec31 2012 11:43am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

It is indeed very interesting and I will too consider bying some but could you tell us a bit about the lifetime of those moulds?

#14 Mon, Dec31 2012 12:52pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

About the mold: they're in silicone, they arrive with talc inside to protect them and when no longer used molds must put the talc and store them flat. I suppose their lifetime is unlimited . Simply store well
Plaster, I put above, is very good because it's thin, durable and dries in less than 30 minutes.
But what we discovered after ordering is it takes a lot of copies to make these sets: for the tomb, he must make 14 copies (but there are lots of leftovers, so I calculated the number of pieces I need really for casting 14 times only what I need) and for the ruins, it takes 16 copies. That's why, on their website, they recommend having multiple molds, but like their high prices, I'd rather be patient and cast in the same mold (it takes more time that's all)
Like in our molds there are pieces, such as floor tiles or stones for walls, that can be used regularly, in the end, I think we can make the investment profitable

#15 Mon, Dec31 2012 5:56pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

It is indeed very interesting and I will too consider bying some but could you tell us a bit about the lifetime of those moulds?

I would suggest Gildor that if you use plaster or similar recommended material then the moulds life-span will last for many ages of elves and men, but if you use resin to make parts with then the life of the mould will diminish and pass into the West big_smile

#16 Sun, Jan13 2013 11:27am

sevlag
Collector
Website

And now what it looks after a few layers of paint :
The ruins :
Click to close   Click to close
Some pictures of the tomb of Aragorn, the others being reserved for the gallery wink
Click to close   Click to close   Click to close
Then, as we still had some pieces of our castings, yesterday my son, with the help of his father, built his  own ruins :
Click to close   Click to close   Click to close

Last edited by sevlag (Sun, Jan13 2013 11:30am)

#17 Sun, Jan13 2013 3:48pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I do like what I see here, Mistress Sevlag. - I'm looking forward to seeing the two finished dioramas with figures.

#18 Sun, Jan13 2013 5:19pm

Ori
Traveller

Pretty cool

#19 Sun, Jan13 2013 7:03pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Aragorn Tomb will be a jewel for sure ! Looking forward to see next pictures.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#20 Sun, Jan13 2013 8:32pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

This is magnificent dear Sevlag.... truly magnificent... this Aragorn's tomb... wow.... and .... wow....

#21 Sun, Jan13 2013 9:51pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Milo wrote:

Aragorn Tomb will be a jewel for sure ! Looking forward to see next pictures.

I have to say I fully agree with that statement smile

#22 Mon, Jan14 2013 6:05am

sevlag
Collector
Website

Wow... Thank you very much Gentlemen big_smilebig_smilewink
It affects me a lot and encouraged me to continue
But I admits being quite pleased with the color stone that I have succeeded in making wink
More in the gallery soon tongue

#23 Tue, Jan15 2013 6:13am

sevlag
Collector
Website

sevlag wrote:

Hello Gentlemen, I need your help please tongue
To complete my tomb, I must refine the roof. But it's slate. Having never painted and not having as model around me (the roofs are made with tiles in my area), I don't know how to color it.
For now, I spent two layers of black paint: is it enough? do I need varnish to make it shine or do I need to brush other (s) paint (s) and if yes whom?
Click to close     Click to close
I await your tips with impatience winktongue
Thank you in advance big_smile

#24 Tue, Jan15 2013 6:23am

sevlag
Collector
Website

Theobald wrote:

I do like what I see here, Mistress Sevlag. - I'm looking forward to seeing the two finished dioramas with figures.

Thank you Master Theobald
When we painted and decorated the diorama of my son I will show you some pictures, before placing his figurines hmm
For complete dioramas with their figures, I will not show you the photos here (their plastic miniatures are not Mithril 's one as we have to point me some time ago . Anyway, I retained the message tongue).
So if you want more, my husband has just created his blog big_smile, in which he put his achievements, but also those of our son and mine.
http://spirit-lotr86.blogspot.fr
winkbig_smiletongue

#25 Tue, Jan15 2013 4:26pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Thank you very much for the link, Mistress Sevlag.

Board footer