Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 Thu, Apr16 2009 9:46pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: My Work

I think I do understand ... takes time, doesn't it? ... huooomm ... painting I mean ... methinks it's a hard job to do ... doing that appropriately I mean ... rhuoomm ... hard work, meseems ... huom ... though ... it is more than relaxing doing that .... huoomm, indeed it is .....homm

#52 Thu, Apr16 2009 10:27pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Here is my Gandalf:
Click to close

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#53 Thu, Apr16 2009 10:49pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Master Brown

A suggestion:

First, buy a cheap tripod from Ebay or even at your local pharamacist. Won't cost more than 10 dollars.

This means you can play with focus and lighting a lot easier. And see more details of the paint job.

You can also use cheap and cheerful photography tricks like putting a neutral coloured cloth behind the mini.

Gavin

#54 Thu, Apr16 2009 11:15pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Thanks, Master Gavin! I will look into this, but I am just putting up my work because I haven't done it in awhile.
When, I have a few small armies painted then I will focus on better photography. wink
Here is my last one for the day, M43(which is using the spear from the M44 and vise versa):
Click to close

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#55 Thu, Apr23 2009 12:55am

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Here is an orc on a wolf:
Click to close

#56 Thu, Apr23 2009 5:54am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Nice work Jason!  That is exactly what I think an orc should look like!

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#57 Thu, Apr23 2009 6:04am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well it seems others paint orcs the same way I do smile exact same color smile I would have put darker color for the wolf pelt though, it's a bit too bright, unless it is ambiant light?

Nice work Jason smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#58 Thu, Apr23 2009 8:19am

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

I can always change the color of the pelt. I am not sure which color though. I will see. hmm

Thanks for the compliments, guys.smile

#59 Thu, Apr23 2009 8:37am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I just saw couple of days ago a TV- documentary about Yellowstone National park. The wolves there were absolutely more grey-ish !
And because yours is an evil one you should also put some black, too. Maybe, Jason you can try this.
PS: and don´t forget to shade the colors . . . wink

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#60 Thu, Apr23 2009 9:17am

erchamion
Adventurer

Well, the fur of wolves (canis lupus) varies greatly depending on the species (there are over 30 subspecies known). There are whites, reds, grays and browns, with all its ranges and mixes. For example, this is the wolf that we have in Spain (canis lupus signatus):
http://www.faunaiberica.org/?page=lobo-iberico

I guess everyone can paint the wolf with the "nationals" colors.lol

Incidentally, Jason, I like your orcs and your new avatar wink

Last edited by erchamion (Thu, Apr23 2009 9:19am)

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#61 Thu, Apr23 2009 10:53pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Thank you , Erchamion for that fantastic excursion in the world of canis lupus. This forum is very multifarious !
Often you spend more time recherching how-to-paint-what as in painting . . .
And Jason: your Avatar is magnificent. Seems to be a section from the merp-book-cover "Riders of Rohan" ( what else . . . ) from the great Angus McBride.
I think he passed away some years ago, unfortunately . . . neutral

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#62 Fri, Apr24 2009 1:24am

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Here's an example of multi-colored wolves.  When faced with the color/research issue, I was surprised to find so many hues in one member of the genus canis:/
Click to close
Keep up the good work Jason and keep showing us...

#63 Fri, Apr24 2009 5:52am

hsf62
Master Caster

Master Kenakko, you are still my faforite painter!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#64 Fri, Apr24 2009 8:35am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

in fact, Master Kennakko, this wolve looks very natural. Great job. Especially the detail of that black part in the mouth.

#65 Fri, Apr24 2009 12:30pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Well Ken, I can't paint like that! hmm
Give me some hints on how you do that.wink
Also, what kind of grass did you use for the base of the wolf? That really looks cool!

#66 Sat, Apr25 2009 3:43am

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Here is my Gimli:
Click to close

#67 Sat, Apr25 2009 8:24am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... Gimli on Staffa ... very nice indeed ...

#68 Sat, Apr25 2009 11:13am

hsf62
Master Caster

Well, Marshal of the Mark, clear pic and nice choise of colours. If you crop the pic it becomes bigger. Otherwise very nice!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#69 Sat, Apr25 2009 2:32pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Here is a ranger of Gondor:
Click to close

#70 Sat, Apr25 2009 2:43pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Mate, you paint these guys faster then Mithril can cast them. I'm very impressed!

#71 Sat, Apr25 2009 2:45pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

When I am on a roll I go with it! lol

#72 Sun, Apr26 2009 11:34pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Here are some test shots of some terrain and minis together:
Click to close
Click to close
Click to close

Tell me what you guys think. big_smile

#73 Mon, Apr27 2009 7:53am

erchamion
Adventurer

Well if I'm orc I don´t dare to leave, and if I´m rohir I don´t dare to enter ..... tongue

I like! smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#74 Mon, Apr27 2009 9:43pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Some nice work there Jason, and nice wolf/warg Ken - very convincing.

#75 Thu, Apr30 2009 10:02pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Faramir at Osgiliath:
Click to close

Board footer