Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: Painting tutorials, tips, tricks...

Ok ... Mithril offered the Primer as :
1K Grey Etch Primer (400ml)
it is from
HMG PAINTS Ltd. (Manchester)
I have address, details and telephone number, but it's not a place here for promoting anything. It's just an answer to Master Milo's question.
I hope I could give some help again. _ Of course I'm writing this way (in several entries) to speed up my to 4444. - I hope you don't mind this jest. Just want to help, where I can do.
By the way ... in the meantime everything went excellently with Thor (assemblind, fixing and priming). - I will get back to that tomorrow, Master Milo, if you don't mind.

#52 Wed, Sep18 2013 6:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Regarding primers for figures I use a brand of motor vehicle acrylic primers, mainly white or grey depending on what I am going to paint.

While I cannot comment on what brands are available in your own countries, the brand I use is by a large vehicle accessory/bicycle store called Halfords.

This stuff has never let me down and many UK modellers use it as it does work out cheaper and the cans are larger wink

I don't particularly like Humbrol spray cans.

So bottom line is - try auto primers big_smile

#53 Wed, Sep18 2013 6:15pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

sevlag wrote:

Gentlemen, I need your help again :
For a diorama I'm working on, I need a chandelier and mural lights, like these :
For the wall (with one or too lights) :
Click to close 
On the ceiling:
Click to close
I don't find this type of lighting on French websites. Have you in your country some dealers of these accessories (with or without electricity), at the scale of our Mitrhil, where I can order them?
Thank you in advance for your help big_smile

Not sure if there will be any useful items on these sites, sorry I haven't the time to look myself smile

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/i … 9b96d2c543

#54 Wed, Sep18 2013 6:40pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

Thank you very much Master Ddaines. wink
I'll look at these websites when I've 5 minutes.

#55 Wed, Sep18 2013 6:42pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Yes, here you are absolutely right about this link to the product sold by PA/Mithril, Master Gildor. - Though, that one is neither a Mithril nor PA product, as it it is just provided by PA. Some of us might remember well those times and discussions about a company finding a better, or new, primer, when then the 'old one' went out. That indeed was when the "new primer" was reveiling difficulties. It exctlay went along with the first realease of the "Swan-Knights" - series.
The Man then was very much annoyed about that. But, I cannot give away any details.  Anyway, since then the problem of priming metal-parts of figures accordingly has always been a serious matter to me.
To me it is just a simple fact, that well-primed figures reveil much more detail than just having a look at the pure  shiny metal.
That to me is a perfect way to enjoy all (all ... sic) figures being available to have a look at [Not being buried in blisters or even some hidden drawers].
No harm intended, Master Gildor, not at all ... though I'll Keep on with my experience about assembling the Thor-Vignette concerning assembling and glueing and priming.

#56 Wed, Sep18 2013 6:52pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I just give up ... sorry.

#57 Wed, Sep18 2013 8:32pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

..... I have no problem with that primer, I just simply paint all figures...

Last edited by Thingol (Thu, Sep19 2013 6:12pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#58 Wed, Sep18 2013 8:34pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

big_smile

Theobald wrote:

brave retreat is the best retreat big_smile

#59 Wed, Sep18 2013 10:27pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

indeed master theobald smile  I know it is not PA as it is stated on the primer sticker itself, it's like the paints, they are "vallejo" paints, not PA either  though repackaged and resticked .

but the "link" to the item being sold was on the PA site that's what I meant smile

I hope you'll have succes with your gluing priming, I myself received those figurines today and I must admit this resin is of Excellent quality! I will actually conduct a new "debate/poll/feedback" about that, on the appropriate forum

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#60 Thu, Sep19 2013 5:47am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Theobald wrote:

You have time master Ent for 4444 lol

Thanks for all provided information Theobald, Gildor and David. I will take my time too.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#61 Thu, Sep19 2013 5:49am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Theobald wrote:

Master Milo, if I got you right you took the decision (at least) to present your very fine Mithril collection in a good way. That's good, I think, I took that decision some years ago. - So, all those unprimed parts of figures and especially the vignettes have to be primed in the best way to match them with the already grey-primed figures. I go along with that, as I took that same choice many years ago. The idea beyond is, if I get you right, to have a collection that is visible in glass cabinets giving the impression, that all this belongs together, did I get you right?
Well, yes, so we should start right here and not haste.

You are right master ent. I have my collection settled in glass cabinet and all unprimed miniatures do not look mithril.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#62 Thu, Sep19 2013 12:00pm

Mornedhel
Traveller

I use Tamiya primer which is very close to Mithril and keep detail on both metal and resin

#63 Thu, Sep19 2013 2:05pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

So I'm back after now having completely primed and assembled that Destroyer-Vignette. - Master Milo, there's one more thing I suggest you should consider when you start to prime the rest of your collection. Keep in mind that maybe one day you want to paint the rest of your collection. For that purpose you have to choose wisely which parts and figures can be glued permanently and which parts should later be easily removable as for better (easier) painting. For that I use two different types of glue. For the "permanent" fixing of parts I use a superglue (Pattex Colle Instantanée liquide) and for those parts which might later be removed I use a glue that places the parts well but can later be quite easily removed without any damage (UHU Hart - colle spéciale pour le modélisme).
For example: with the Thor-Vignette I used the superglue for the two arms of Thor and the "lighter" glue to fix the figures at the base.
Maybe this is a helpful advice you might consider. - Well, and that's it for now.

#64 Thu, Sep19 2013 2:08pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Oooops ... I forgot to mention that the Destroyer-Vignette looks great now that all parts are of the same colour (Mithril-grey).

#65 Sat, Aug27 2016 4:22pm

mindx2
Collector

Not sure if this is the place to post these questions but here goes...

With my growing collection I am going to want to display them even though they are unpainted. Most are in their "Mithril grey" primed color but many still have to be assembled. Is there a tutorial (hopefully video) that I can see that shows the best way to remove attached pieces (such as the Bree Innkeeper's cups) and then reattach pieces where they should be (sword arms, etc.)? I've never attempted to do these things so I can be considered "newb". I need guidance on the correct type of glue, how much glue to use, which primer color matches the Mithril grey, how to shave rough edges, which tool to use to shave those rough edges, how to apply the primer so it doesn't clump or take away from the detail, etc.

Everyone has been very generous with their time already and I know I will receive expert assistance here and am looking for specific Mithril related help that I'm not sure I would find in generic tutorials. 

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance, links, advice, etc. you give.

#66 Sat, Aug27 2016 8:10pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

mindx2 wrote:

Not sure if this is the place to post these questions but here goes...

With my growing collection I am going to want to display them even though they are unpainted. Most are in their "Mithril grey" primed color but many still have to be assembled. Is there a tutorial (hopefully video) that I can see that shows the best way to remove attached pieces (such as the Bree Innkeeper's cups) and then reattach pieces where they should be (sword arms, etc.)? I've never attempted to do these things so I can be considered "newb". I need guidance on the correct type of glue, how much glue to use, which primer color matches the Mithril grey, how to shave rough edges, which tool to use to shave those rough edges, how to apply the primer so it doesn't clump or take away from the detail, etc.

Everyone has been very generous with their time already and I know I will receive expert assistance here and am looking for specific Mithril related help that I'm not sure I would find in generic tutorials. 

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance, links, advice, etc. you give.

There are probably several + answers to each of your points mindx2 (welcome to MMP by the way wink ), each favoured by the various collectors out there and I'm sure others will furnish you with tips and hints.

With my growing collection I am going to want to display them even though they are unpainted. Most are in their "Mithril grey" primed color but many still have to be assembled.

Is there a tutorial (hopefully video) that I can see that shows the best way to remove attached pieces (such as the Bree Innkeeper's cups) and then reattach pieces where they should be (sword arms, etc.)?

There are probably several + answers to each of your points mindx2 (welcome to MMP by the way wink ), each favoured by the various collectors out there and I'm sure others will furnish you with tips and hints.

Not sure if there are any specific tutorials, but the following may help: a good pair of hobby 'snips' would probably be best for removing small parts from the main casting sprues, but be aware of small castings flying off and disappearing for ever. One useful tip here is to wrap kitchen 'cling-film' (not sure how this would be described in your own part of the world) around the figure so that when you snip off the part it is hopefully retained by the film; I guess you could use small sandwich bags as well.
Regarding attaching the parts, make sure you clean off any residue metal either using modelling files or abrasive paper (emery cloth here in the UK is a common brand). Use picture references either here or on the Mithril main site so that you know where each part goes.

I've never attempted to do these things so I can be considered "newb".

I need guidance on the correct type of glue, how much glue to use:

For small non-weight bearing parts super-glue is normally sufficient (can be speeded up using an accelerator), but for larger parts you are advised to drill a small diameter hole and use a metal pin (brass, but NOT a soft metal that may bend under the weight of the part). You don't have to pin it, but it can give you more peace of mind to do so. For the larger figures you may be best advised to use a two-part epoxy adhesive, and pin the feet to the base.
Be advised that superglue is notorious for sticking fingers together, sticking them to the figure, and not sticking parts together roll. It also burns like Hell if you get superglue on your fingers and use an accelerator!!!

Which primer colour matches the Mithril grey/ how to apply the primer so it doesn't clump or take away from the detail, etc:

That I can’t answer as I tend to overspray (if needed) with automotive white or grey primer using UK brand primer or use the Mithril . Some collectors may strip down their figures and re-prime, Mithril did use a primer at one stage which drew a lot of complaints. Generally when using primer apply a couple of ‘misted’ coats rather than one thick one. If you are going to paint the figures then you may want to consider different colour primers.

How to shave rough edges, which tool to use to shave those rough edges:

See above – modelling snips, modelling files, abrasive cloth.

ALSO, I personally tend to remove most figures from the cast on base as I prefer to create dioramas or small scenes. If you do decide to go down this route you may find that if you cut off excess metal with snips it may distort the figures legs therefore using a fine modelling or jewellers saw may be the best option.

AND, before cutting excess casting sprues off consider if this will adversely affect the figure; this can be particularly relevant with the design of some of the mounted figures that due to the metal used, may over time, bend.

Anyhow, there’s some tips to be getting on with, good luck’

#67 Sat, Aug27 2016 10:47pm

mindx2
Collector

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and points. smile It is very much appreciated.

One clarification... I shouldn't have said primer color. What I was thinking was that the Mithril figures all come coated in grey already except for the pieces that still need to be attached. I was wondering what people here coat those pieces to match the existing Mithril grey. I won't be taking any figures off their Mithril base as I want to keep them as originally created except for attaching the arms, swords, etc.

#68 Sun, Aug28 2016 10:15am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

years ago , but alas not anymore, Prince August was selling "air spray" of this "mithril gray undercoa" they use. so that you could add or rectify or simply undercoat them in their gray smile

you have to know though that some figurines from the last years are fully undercoated, and will be raw. That is especially the case for Christmas figurines for which you can ask Mithril to get them "gray undercoat" or "antique finish".

From my point of view, the best way would be to "over-prime" them in a gray undercoat, sold by Prince August too (well at least Prince August France) , it is not a spray it is a manual "gray base", using vynil component. You can use this one either as a painting base or simply to let them in gray. but it is a smooth gray not a "rubber touch" syle like old figurines.

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#69 Mon, Aug29 2016 6:50pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

mindx2 wrote:

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and points. smile It is very much appreciated.

One clarification... I shouldn't have said primer color. What I was thinking was that the Mithril figures all come coated in grey already except for the pieces that still need to be attached. I was wondering what people here coat those pieces to match the existing Mithril grey. I won't be taking any figures off their Mithril base as I want to keep them as originally created except for attaching the arms, swords, etc.

http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/1-grey-pri … paint.html 

...you could buy this spray if you need to put coat of grey primer on light metal pieces... it is realy good...

Last edited by Thingol (Mon, Aug29 2016 6:51pm)

#70 Sat, Sep3 2016 7:45pm

mindx2
Collector

Well here are my tools ready to go. I am about to embark on my first quest to piece together some of the figures that have multiple parts then give them their needed "Mithril grey" coat. Any advice before I venture forth...?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc397/mindx2/mini%20tools_zps6qmbdcfj.jpg

Last edited by mindx2 (Sat, Sep3 2016 7:46pm)

#71 Sat, Sep3 2016 9:22pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Good luck, don't forget to spray in a well-ventilated area, probably best to give a couple of light coats than one heavy coat and depending on the brand, the speed of drying may vary wink

#72 Mon, Sep5 2016 12:40pm

Maenas
Traveller

Stick or put the miniatures on top of something you can rotate! And use bluetack or some soft adhesive tape for tiny pieces or they will be blown away if they are not glued to the miniature already.

spray front, rotate then spray side A, rotate then spray back, rotate then spray side B. Doing this in one run and in batches of 4-5 miniatures will save lots of time and paint! wink

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#73 Mon, Sep5 2016 11:16pm

mindx2
Collector

So far I am having a lot of fun putting these figures together! One thing that surprised me was how easy it was to "snip" the pieces off that needed to be removed like a shield or bow. I thought the metal would be tougher to cut but it took very little pressure to cut. Another thing I noticed was how well each piece fit into the appropriate place. For example, the Wose warrior (M249) with his blow gun. His arms and blow gun fit so snugly into it's slot it looks like it was molded that way except for the different color because of no grey primer. I think this shows the quality of these figures and their design and production. I've had many miniature figures over the years and the detailing and sculpt is nowhere near the Mithril line with many from other manufacturers having bad molding, seam lines, etc.

Well, back to gluing... which can be a little difficult for me with no fingers... these pieces are small!!! tongue

#74 Tue, Sep6 2016 7:32am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

mindx2 wrote:

... which can be a little difficult for me with no fingers... these pieces are small!!! tongue

I admire your strength and persistence.... one day you'll should show us your collection....

#75 Sun, Jan29 2017 10:45pm

mindx2
Collector

Finally getting around to the LR Ringwraith figures. Who ever at Mithril thought that vacuum-sealing these figures onto a cardboard sheet aught to be thrown into Mount Doom!! My goodness was it frustrating getting all those pieces out of the plastic without bending any of the swords, arms, etc.!!

Board footer