Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Jul6 2011 10:12pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

THE TAPROOM 2

..... OPEN UP AGAIN HERE ...

In fact, I shall broach a new barrel scrumpy just to celebrate before the rugs arrive. I may even get to sink a pint myself for a change!

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2 Wed, Jul6 2011 10:20pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Re: THE TAPROOM 2

Give me a scrumpy to celebrate this new occasion or move!big_smile

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#3 Wed, Jul6 2011 10:32pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

*plonks down some coins*

Something not-scrumpy please smile

Oh and I have some new Mithrils to show off in the gallery later, soon as I clean everything else up smile

#4 Wed, Jul6 2011 10:54pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

damn! that fast!!

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Thu, Jul7 2011 6:11am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Oh yes, I'm no unhasty Ent. Do you like the new chontz curtains, by the way? I'm hoping that Master Tree will get here soon with the wargskin rugs. I can hear them scrabbling round the building somewhere, so he must be on his way.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#6 Thu, Jul7 2011 7:36am

erchamion
Adventurer

I hope that this change in the Poney doesn´t involve change a taste of scrumpy ..... one of this, please.smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#7 Thu, Jul7 2011 7:37am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Do you want to move old or buy new furniture lol

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#8 Thu, Jul7 2011 8:11am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Most of the stuff in the Pony is only nailed together using bits of broken swords (courtesy of the Battle of Bywater Archaeology Association), but it serves its purpose. So we'll make do with what we have. If you're offering to bring some stools from the old Taproom you're free to do so - otherwise you'll be sitting on the floor....

Finished painting my Gandalf and Gwaihir last night, by the way (I left Nob to start the move). Very nice little vignette that - it may be my favourite MS figure thus far.

#9 Thu, Jul7 2011 9:18am

imisel
Collector

I'm sooo tired.... I need more holidays for rest of these holidays: 2 weedings (with its 2 bachelor's party), 1 week  in a house in the forest with my best friends, and still waiting to go with my girlfriend a week on route for the north of Spain. I'm becoming too old for this smile

Please, Maese Barliman - One big pitch of ale for me, I'm thirsty!

Imisel

Last edited by imisel (Thu, Jul7 2011 9:19am)

Ilsa:A franc for your thoughts.
Rick: In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth.

CASABLANCA (1942)

#10 Thu, Jul7 2011 9:20am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huuoooommmm ... so here they are, those unfriendly-smelly-trodden wargskins ... huom ... I had to give them a good scrub before taking them here ... rhuoomm ... nice new place by the way, Master Barliman ... huom

#11 Thu, Jul7 2011 9:20am

imisel
Collector

Obviously, if you have time after take photos to Gandalf/Gwaihir vignette - I'll love to see it!

Ilsa:A franc for your thoughts.
Rick: In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth.

CASABLANCA (1942)

#12 Thu, Jul7 2011 3:52pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Ahhh Master Barkeep, very nice indeed; the old tap-room was getting so crowded, I could hardly find a dark corner. Don't mind me, I'll just take a mug of ale and settle in over there, where it is dark.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#13 Thu, Jul7 2011 3:55pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

The corners will all be dark until I can find wherever Nob's put the candles. In the meantime try not to stand on the cat.

#14 Thu, Jul7 2011 4:15pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Barliman, I am about to paint my Gandalf & Gwaihir , please show me your inspiration ! roll
And, by the way, bring me the ale I have dreamt all day since I woke up. too much work this month... hmm

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#15 Thu, Jul7 2011 4:28pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I can give you an ale, but not a picture - I don't have a working picture-taking thingamajig at the moment.

Painting the eagle itself was easy - the feather texture is so well executed in the modelling and casting that dry-brushing does most of the work for you, once you've decided what colours you want to use. I based my eagle loosely on JRRT's picture in 'The Hobbit' - presumably based in turn on a Golden Eagle (brown body, reddish brown head, yellowish legs and whitish beak). The main problem I had was deciding how to depict Gandalf - do you make him Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White? Anyway, I opted for Gandalf the White in the end, as at the Black Gates, but with a grubby grey cloak.

#16 Thu, Jul7 2011 4:29pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... cleaning wargskins also is hard work, Master Milo ... rhuoomm ... outch, the cat ... huomm ... where are the candles, Master Barliman? ... I just light the coals in the heath ... huom

#17 Thu, Jul7 2011 4:39pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Ah, you have your twiggy fingers caught in the keyboard again I see - at least, I hope you meant to type hearth, otherwise the Bree fire brigade will be round to have a word with you.

Still haven't got the candles – Nob says it's too dark to find them. He has a point. Can't the Ranger rub some sticks together or something equally outdoor-ish?

#18 Fri, Jul8 2011 3:06pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommmm ... of course "hearth" that should have been, Master Barliman, sorry ... huoommrhuomm ... but once again this is a proof what haste can do ... huom ...

#19 Fri, Jul8 2011 4:14pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

It's proof of what twiggy fingers can do!

Glad to say my latest Mithril order has turned up today. The Horn of Helm is a nice figure, though it doesn't fit together with quite the precision I've come to expect from Mithril - if you place the Rohirrim guy on the spot where he's supposed to stand the curve of the horn doesn't sit accurately in its trough once the arm-pegs are inserted into their holes in his shoulders. Happily a sliver of milliput should solve the problem.

#20 Fri, Jul8 2011 4:44pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Here those candles are, Master barkeep, up on this high shelf here. Of course, as you are shorty and, err . . . rotund, you could not see them, nor reach them even if you knew where they were. They will brighten up the place a little, but none for my corner please . . .

Now, I see my friend erchamion in the tap room; two drinks for us please!

Last edited by twrich (Fri, Jul8 2011 4:45pm)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#21 Fri, Jul8 2011 4:59pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Rotund? I prefer to see my self as well-rounded.

#22 Fri, Jul8 2011 5:01pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Oh, Thanks! Master twrich.
If you want a truly dark place I recommend that one night you walk a little south of here. You'll see some barrows where you will be treated kindly................................ ´forever`..........................

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#23 Sat, Jul9 2011 3:49am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Well, that would be a bad idea for me, unless of course Master Tom was with me. :-)

#24 Sat, Jul9 2011 1:11pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... Master Barliman, as for that Rohirrim about blowing that "Alphorn" I think there's no need to use even a sliver of milliput ... huom ... just let him stand a few inches behind the spots on the base ... huoommm ... err, as for the base ... what is it? ... huom ... I always thought that that horn was placed at one of the tower's of Helm's Deep, just to produce the effect it was meant for ... rhuoomm ... here's the typical Mithril base to which some scattered stones and rubble are added, which rather more gives the imression that our hornblower is standing outside rather than inside a building ... rhuoommm ... but all in all no problem assembling that tiny figure ... huom
Err, have you ever tried to assemble that entombed-balroggy-thing? ... huomm ... alas, that's when you need some milliputty-or-green-stuffy-thing ... huoomm ... and a hell-of-a-lot-of-patience thing also ... rhuuooommm ... though I managed a second time today to assemble that lad ... huomm ... know, I lost them antlers of my first one .... huoommm ... so, try it again, tree, I told myself (if you know what I mean) I was in need of another (complete) one for my collection ... rhuoomm ... all in all I have to state that those Mithril-miniature-things are better to assemble than those of some other companies ... rhuoommmtidommm ... huom

#25 Sat, Jul9 2011 1:48pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

True, Master Tree. And I agree entirely regarding the texture of the Alpine fellow's base.... It rather surprised me too. But I suppose we ciould conjecture that it's sometimes taken out of the tower and used outside. Still, a paved-effect base would have been better.

Board footer